"Show Them The Way" - October 9, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Just looked at the list to see who was all on shore and didn't see my name. Then I realized I hadn't posted yet. Oops! Enjoyed this one and glad I am down to one puzzle left this weekend.

I had to work this morning, but at least I can work from home. Absolutely GORGEOUS fall day - sunny, light breeze, temp in the 70s and the blue jays have returned! I've heard them all year, but the tree they nested in was snapped off in an early storm this spring. I started putting out some "critter feed" for the squirrels to keep them out of my bird feeders and tulip bulbs. Wouldn't you know the first thing that happened was the jays showed up to grab the peanuts and yell at the squirrels. Double bonus!!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 am Good Saturday morning muggles

and we welcome a bunch of new muggles this week - wildjed, Dobbydown, escapeartist, Rweiss6, Cosmo, Alexleah1, Jholway, and Crest. And our half new muggle DanA whose wife BethA pulled into the clan last week but he got his own account this week.

For all our newest muggles - there is a wealth of information under Come Aboard including and opportunity to introduce yourself, and under Community/Solving Resources, there are techniques for solving, past crosswords to practice on, Joe Ross's guide for solving with Excel and several topics to give the background on some of our terms. Also there are topics both here and under the Acapulco Lounge are discussions on how to ask for nudges (hints).

We have 9 on the ship and 114 on the shore

On the ship with Isaac are
majorDomoTom
Eric P
Beth A
brulo
Richard
higgysue
ImOnToo
wildjed
and Dobbydown

On the shore are

...ky-mike...

Good luck to everyone and stay safe - especially those in the way of the Delta Force
Nope. Per post 127, I am still on the ship watching football games from the bar. Making slow progress this week on this one.
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Well, I'm on the ship, staring at the walls of my cabin at the moment. Given how easy this one seems to be for so many, I have a feeling when I finally learn the answer on Sunday night I am going to be kicking myself!
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

Oh boy, my first post! On the beach!
Joe

Post by Joe »

This is one of those where I knew what the answer had to be, and then I spent a day and a half figuring out how! Happily on shore.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Cindy N wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:37 pm Just looked at the list to see who was all on shore and didn't see my name. Then I realized I hadn't posted yet. Oops! Enjoyed this one and glad I am down to one puzzle left this weekend.

I had to work this morning, but at least I can work from home. Absolutely GORGEOUS fall day - sunny, light breeze, temp in the 70s and the blue jays have returned! I've heard them all year, but the tree they nested in was snapped off in an early storm this spring. I started putting out some "critter feed" for the squirrels to keep them out of my bird feeders and tulip bulbs. Wouldn't you know the first thing that happened was the jays showed up to grab the peanuts and yell at the squirrels. Double bonus!!
Your post reminded me of a quarantining meme a friend had sent me a while back --- made me laugh like crazy!
Capturesquirrels.JPG
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I need a nudge. Please don’t ask me what I got. I got nada.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I spent way too much time making it harder than it was.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Still on the boat. A nudge is welcome. at the very least to get rid of this earworm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIRqMTg1GVc
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

On shore, sipping a Pinot Grigio on an unseasonably warm day in Indy.

So Matt G. is moonlighting as a parenting guru? If so, and if my meta answer is correct, I think I failed as a parent.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On shore!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I'm on shore too Bob.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 am Good Saturday morning muggles

<snip>

On the shore are
Mike H

<snip>

and JRS51
For the record, I'm on shore (see post #85).
Jay
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

C=64 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 pm
KayW wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:49 pm Onshore. Now back to :shock: at MMMM...
Gah, I've been so busy this week that I forgot it was the first Tuesday! Thanks for the reminder.
Oops, same here. Have to play "name that tune" again.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Just back from the shore (Corolla, NC in the northern Outer Banks) and am pondering at Isaac's bar with an ice cold Hendricks martini with cucumber and basil. Quite refreshing, but not nearly as much as finding the path to shore would (will?) be.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Late to the meta but now on the shore,
Quite crowded I see, yet still room for some more.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:36 pm

<snip>

On the shore are
Mike H

<snip>

and JRS51
For the record, I'm on shore (see post #85).
You were on the list - after copperriver and before RobM
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Tom Mueller wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:56 pm Oh boy, my first post! On the beach!
Welcome, Tom! Well done. Please join our Zoom Muggle meet-up on Tuesday evenings -- the link info is in one of the introductory pages.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I’ve had several nice nudges and am still nowhere. I think I’ll tell Isaac to start making mind doubles so at least I’ll have an excuse for being so obtuse.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore - Solved the grid Thursday night, but didn't really get a chance to tackle the meta until tonight, when to my surprise I found myself through the breakers and onto the beach at warp speed.