"Cover Band" - July 1, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Ashore. Maybe the first one of these I've solved? New to the WSJ puzzle... easy one, 12-13 minutes total for the grid and the meta- I rarely get metas that quickly!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm on the shore, but the beach is crowded. Maybe I will join the party on the patio.
amheissan

Post by amheissan »

Ashore
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

zelq wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:42 pm Sigh...love the crossword, but the metas just don't click with me. Missing something really obvious. Stuck in the desert. Literally.
@zelq - each Friday at 4:30 pm eastern time there is a zoom group solve for anyone who wants to join plus a couple of people to provide nudges. Click on the link at the top of the page "muggle zoom room" and it will take you to success.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Today was my shortest swim to shore ever. But I'm not sure I'd agree with the "well-known" part of the clue. Regardless, I will start the long weekend by sipping some Cincoro Anejo. Happy Birthday, America!
vandono

Post by vandono »

zelq wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:42 pm Sigh...love the crossword, but the metas just don't click with me. Missing something really obvious. Stuck in the desert. Literally.
I can tell you that they didn't click for me at all for the longest time (by that I mean over a year). When I would see the answer on the following Monday, I couldn't fathom how anyone could have the insight to know where to start. But this is the place to be if you really want to learn. When I joined this forum and took advantage of the resources here (a vast supply of puzzles to practice with and helpful people to walk you through things), things began to click. You learn what to look for, where to look and how to think about the ways the various clues might be interpreted. I'm still by no means an expert, but it's such a delight when I occasionally solve one. I encourage you to join today's Zoom if you can make it. Nicest people you can hope to meet and they love helping others learn how to work these puzzles.
femullen

Post by femullen »

The Smarter Half (the smarty pants!) asked me last night if I'd solved the puzzle. She said she'd stepped quickly ashore with dry shoes. "Stop rubbing it in," I growled, because I'd just spent half of a 40-minute train ride staring cluelessly at the obvious places to look. I'd also scribbled down strings of letters following a number of different methods. Still, I stared and stared.

Just now I picked up the puzzle and stared again. There seemed to be something about that first string that was almost readable, and, if I parsed it in a particular way, a plausible name emerged. Could it be... Yes, indeed, it was N.K. Jemisin!

Kidding, but I never heard of this one either.

Ashore.

It's Canada Day. Molson me.
Last edited by femullen on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
JJD

Post by JJD »

This was probably the fastest “done and done” for me.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

femullen wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:43 pm ......

...... There seemed to be something about that first string that was almost readable, and, if I parsed it in a particular way, a plausible name emerged. Could it be... Yes, indeed, it was N.K. Jemisin!

Ashore.

Just snickered out loud in the "quiet study" section of the library! :o :lol:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

A general suggestion - if your normal habit is to solve crosswords quickly, metas may go better if you force yourself to slow down. There are often hints that are easy to miss, so be sure you read every clue and entry carefully - while solving or by going back over it afterward.

For specifics on this one, as Bob mentioned, you're welcome to join a Zoom meeting - today at 4:30 or Sunday at 8:00 (Eastern time). Or you can PM one of us for help.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
batfella

Post by batfella »

Believe I solved but can't enter the contest answer on line
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

whimsy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:02 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:43 pm ......

...... There seemed to be something about that first string that was almost readable, and, if I parsed it in a particular way, a plausible name emerged. Could it be... Yes, indeed, it was N.K. Jemisin!

Ashore.

Just snickered out loud in the "quiet study" section of the library! :o :lol:
Same. LOL
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. As an answer that appeared indisputable emerged , I needed to check Mr. Google to see if there were indeed such a person. I am so out of the loop of popular culture.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

batfella wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:16 pm Believe I solved but can't enter the contest answer on line
Best way to enter is to email your answer in the Subject: line to crosswordcontest@wsj.com per the Crossword Contest Official Rules.
BensMom

Post by BensMom »

Ashore after taking a month off from doing the puzzles. My mom told me it was an easy one, but it was still satisfying!
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Got to shore quickly. I too have been away for 3 weeks touring Blighty. It's nice to be back enjoying the Meta challenge. I have been finding the daily NYT Wordle game to be addictive also. It's like having a verbal hors d'oeuvre before the WSJ Meta main course.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Nice to be with the IN crowd early for a change
pookie

Post by pookie »

On shore.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

On the beach. 🏖 🍺
Jack Sullivan
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Ashore. As always, happy to give a friendly nudge.
Your Obedient Servant, OG
Last edited by PhantomPhan on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.