"Just Look at Yourself" - January 28, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

GTIJohnny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm Oh duh, I just saw Muggle Zoom Room is always open.

OK I'll be there at 6 PM tonite for one.
Yup. Without an admin, some features are not available. But people showing up and talking works fine, and that's really all you need.

I'll come, even though I've already solved, but will stay quiet and let those still at sea work it out.

6PM central, 7PM eastern, etc.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Still stuck on the ship, tired from shoveling and hoping some Tia Maria in my hot cocoa will loosen something up.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore, finally ... but only somewhat confidently. Stay safe and warm, please!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:22 pm I am feeling quite clueless, especially with so many seeing a path to this right away. I keep coming back to it In between shoveling shifts, while the dog watches. Hoping inspiration will strike.
I'll see your one...and raise you one...
SnowPoodles.jpg
FeelingSlow

Post by FeelingSlow »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:14 pm
GTIJohnny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm Oh duh, I just saw Muggle Zoom Room is always open.

OK I'll be there at 6 PM tonite for one.
Yup. Without an admin, some features are not available. But people showing up and talking works fine, and that's really all you need.

I'll come, even though I've already solved, but will stay quiet and let those still at sea work it out.

6PM central, 7PM eastern, etc.
I'm so close....thanks to some nudges from DrTom...but I'm still not ashore. Looks like I'll be seeing you all in the zoom room in a few hours.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

GTIJohnny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:48 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:13 pm
GTIJohnny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 am Also still on the ship. Unfortunately I missed the zoom session. One night's sleep provided a little insight, but I'm gonna give it another day before I ask for a nudge.
You missed a zoom session, not the zoom session.

The zoom room is always open. If you want to get another group together, just post a time.

There were a dozen muggles still at sea on Bob's report - plus doubtless folks who haven't posted. Perhaps some of them would also like a group to solve with.
My apologies in advance but I couldn't find anything in the FAQ. If I post a time, do I have to somehow set up a Zoom meeting, or will that option automatically appear up top in the right? I think we have enough still at sea to warrant another one.

Does an administrator "oversee" or set up the meeting?

I have zero skills in setting up a zoom...but am willing to learn.

I'd say 6 PM Central Time Saturday, 7 PM Eastern (and so on).

John
@GTIJohnny

Hi
The zoom link at the top connects to my personal account. The link is left open for any and all muggles to collaborate at any time. Just set up a time and open the link. There will be no host so some of the features like screen sharing are not available.

Good luck and let me know if there are any issues.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got a late start on this one, but pretty steady progress all the way to shore once I began. One or two small detours but all in all smooth.

Hopefully the crowd on the beach hasn't drunk up all the booze. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

Jackie88 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:14 pm Stuck at the bar. I have a Hail Mary in my pocket that I will submit if I can’t make the pieces fit.
On shore! I can support my guess.
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

shalmanezer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 pm I love how Matt tipped his cap to the bartender this week - and to all of us who have spent time with him.
That was my favorite part, too. Even better than the Eureka moment of the meta-solve. Glad to be on shore. Jameson, please.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion got us to the shore with very little help from yours truly!! Glad to be on the sand and relaxing with pals.......good luck to all.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Kas wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:17 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:22 pm I am feeling quite clueless, especially with so many seeing a path to this right away. I keep coming back to it In between shoveling shifts, while the dog watches. Hoping inspiration will strike.
I'll see your one...and raise you one...SnowPoodles.jpg
Ha! You win. I’d add my cats to make three, but if I let them out they’ll sink.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

been hanging at the bar with Isaac this weekend, I'll take another dirty Martini (vodka, not gin).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

I saw that Bob had me before on shore - unfortunately I am still hanging with Isaac as I am as lost as a bagel in a bucket of grits. As of now with this meta I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion (quoting here my favorite writer Jack Kerouac)
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! Very fun. Hot toddy, please.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Pleased to join the beach bunch this morning.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I was completely happy to stay at the bar, but without asking I got a pointer and then a push and solved it in 5 or 10 seconds.

Not submitting because I never submit non-solo solves.

But brilliant construction and delightful answer. Will comment Monday on why some of you may never have heard this and others of us have seen it for decades.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Thanks to a push from the muggle zoom room, I am ashore. I've heard of the activity and can see why some have said that it made them laugh.
Cynthia
FeelingSlow

Post by FeelingSlow »

well poop, I missed the zoom room. Alarm didn't go off. Congrats to all those that got ashore...I'm in a life raft hoping to be spotted by a flying plane :)
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

OK, I left the 2nd zoom room with a great big nudge. I solved shortly thereafter. Thanks everyone! (I was WAY off course, but everyone was understanding).
FeelingSlow

Post by FeelingSlow »

FeelingSlow wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:42 pm well poop, I missed the zoom room. Alarm didn't go off. Congrats to all those that got ashore...I'm in a life raft hoping to be spotted by a flying plane :)
2 of us are still in there, but we're stuck...