"Two For The Show" - April 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

PeterLeea1a wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:54 pm Weird, finally got the meta but the answer was my first guess for an entirely unrelated reason.
The answer was going to be my WAG, also for an entirely unrelated reason. Bet it's the same as yours.
Cynthia
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Hanging out with Isaac.
No 31A for me, yet.
Konnie
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. We arrived a little late for this party so we'll start with a double please. Keep them coming. Thank you very much Mike. And we add our thanks to the group salute to Brian for your incredible service in providing this site and are glad to see the donation effort. Happy Easter to those who are celebrating!
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

Back on the beach after a long absence! Relaxing with a nice rum punch.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore - needed redirection to close off some distracting rabbit holes - smooth sailing from there. Strawberry daiquiri sounds good.
-Tamara
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore after exploring a few cleverly designed rabbit holes. Now I get to watch The Bruins upset The Zags without thinking about art. Stella on tap please.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:05 pm Good Saturday morning muggles

An interesting challenge by Mr. Shenk. Once you find the right rabbit hole, it is a 100% solutions

First we have 22 on the ship and 106 on the shore
I'm also on the shore (post #25). Thanks!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Wow, $1822! We can get there before the weekend is out!!

Oh, yeah, no progress on the meta yet. Honestly, I haven't spent much time on it, but more honestly, it sounds like I shouldn't have to. I've been explaining to Isaac how "normally" I'm such a great solver, but for some reason I'm just not getting this one. His reaction was, well, expected.
Attachments
Isaac4.jpg
Colin

Post by Colin »

ky-mike wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:29 am Bit of trivia - "Two For the Show" is also the title of an album by the band Kansas, recorded live during their 1977 and 1978 tours. I attended one of those shows in Kansas City in the summer of 1978 at a Summer Jam event held at Arrowhead Stadium. I forget who the headliner was, but the bands performing were -

Eddie Money
Kansas
Steve Miller Band
Van Halen
Steve Miller is amazing! The most natural performer. Shakes my tree every time!
One world. One planet. One future.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Still adrift on the meta. I've chased a few good rabbit holes, but haven't found a solid lead yet. I've requested a nudge from a friendly user to point me in the right direction.

I was happy to donate as soon as I saw the call! I'm pretty new here, but everyone has been welcoming and this is a really great community. I may be new, but I know a good thing when I see it, and I plan on sticking around!

Cheers,

Mulligan
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I've spent a few hours today staring at the puzzle, taking notes, chasing rabbits etc. I'm going to resist asking for a nudge. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow the answer will be clear to me. I'm excited to share a picture of my notes after the deadline.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore! Thank you, Brian, Bob and others for dedicating your time and talents to make this site a friendly welcoming home for all Muggles.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Wow! Thanks to our cruise director I’ve been rescued/nudged into shore. Hopefully one of these days I can get one without a nudge and be able to submit to WSJ!

Thank u to this board and Bob - I donated as well 🙂
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

When it comes to famous painters, I’m more of a Margaret Cho kinda gal. 😄
Konnie
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ImOnToo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:57 pm When it comes to famous painters, I’m more of a Margaret Cho kinda gal. 😄
Not Sherwin-Williams? To each his own...
ajk

Post by ajk »

Ashore after a kindly pair of nudges. Never would have gotten it on my own, even though it's perfectly reasonable. Sometimes the wavelength just doesn't match for me. Not submitting, and sticking to pineapple juice since I have not earned the rum component of the maitai. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! This one was very satisfying.
I was just getting ready to ask for a nudge when my friend texted asking if I saw the same things she was looking at. I hadn’t. But 3 or 4 of them were rabbit holes anyway but one of her observations gave me that “hmmm...”🤔 moment. Following that thread lead me to the mechanism and thus the answer! So it was sort of a nudge from someone that had no idea she was supplying a nudge. It can take me all weekend by myself but when we put out two heads together it only takes 15 minutes!
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

the light bulb remains off for now....then again I have the in-laws in town, so maybe that explains it. Thanks for the chance to donate!
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Ashore after a couple of nudges! Instead of a beverage I think I'll dive into some Easter candy. Reeses eggs are better than Reeses cups!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Happy Easter Friends! I think the coolest thing about the tip jar is seeing the regulars, newbies, and lurkers come out this weekend and express appreciation for the forum and the opportunity to donate. Once again Brian had it right with the low cap.

While we are now in the trickle phase, it should definitely fill before the WSJ deadline. Thanks again all!

Peter (Abide)
Last edited by Abide on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald