"The State of American Cinema" February 10, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

ASHORE - both literally and figuratively! After trying very hard to make this one much harder than it needed to be, I finally saw the correct metanism. Meanwhile, we returned this week from our real cruise through the Panama Canal and the Caribbean Sea. So much fun I barely had time to look at the puzzles I missed. So I will save those for another time, and skip reading the forum posts from those two weeks. That way I won't be tempted to peek at the solutions. Meanwhile, here is a photo of one of the many friends I made while on vacation:
IMG_0637.JPG
Sara
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Thunderbolt AHA this week. Tried all morning to force and back solve and almost asked for a nudge. But set it aside and cleared my mind. Thought of another angle and a very satisfying solve resulted. If you don’t have this one keep at it and you can do it.
Steve_S

Post by Steve_S »

:D I'm ashore!! First time in quite a while, I've had a dry spell. Fairly easy grid, but was thoroughly flumoxed when I first started looking for the meta. Put it down for a day, came back and it 'almost' jumped out at me. Nice puzzle, and should be a lot of competition this week for a mug!!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am eligible to go to shore since I finally figured it out--and after I made it so difficult. :roll: But I might hang out on the ship since Isaac's Superbowl offerings, as described by Bob, sound quite enticing.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm ashore! Definitely was thinking of this the wrong way for a bit.

Some random musings:

1. 49-Across is an incredible film. I didn't see it referenced too much in here, but it was such a gorgeous, life-affirming, moving piece of cinema. (Its Oscar was so rightfully deserved as well.)

2. Just feeling thankful on this Super Bowl eve for a great community like this one - I was reticent to begin solving the WSJ for a while even after being a MGWCC aficionado for a couple of years. I was probably just thinking, "More metas?! How can I do it???" But I'm so glad I did; the sinusoidal dance of Gaffney and Shenk trading off has been a delight to kick off my weekend.

3. And, just remember, kids - keep digging those rabbit holes! All your dreams may some day come true.

(Thanks, @The XWord Rabbit!)

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:58 pm

All your dreams may some day come true.

(Thanks, @The XWord Rabbit!)

Mikey G
Looking at your picture, I'm wondering if you are referring to that lovely mug or (based on your hat) thinking back to the best 17-minute rain delay in the history of baseball!
ALS

Post by ALS »

I started off with the right idea but wrong execution. Today I tried a different approach and there it was. Ashore.

ALS
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Solved this one early on, thank goodness. I kind of surprised myself in that my brain was actually tuned in to the right channel.

We have been so very busy - I didn't think anything would ever stop me from doing the WSJ puzzle but alas it did happen these last couple of weeks. Nice to be back in sync this week.

Will be enjoying the Superbowl but mainly for food and merriment. Football is not really in my wheelhouse, but I am always up for a good time.

Cheers everyone!

MaiTai please!
🌴🍹
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

A little soggy but ashore!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On the ship with Isaac.

We're both drinking this week.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
M and M

Post by M and M »

There are several ways to go wrong on this one! We beat our way through them one after another, and arrived on shore. Hi, beach-lovers!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Lights, camera, ashore! Fun paddle to the end on this one. Cheering in person for an Ohio State basketball win today, and then on to watching one of the Cleveland Heights Kelce brothers to win the Super Bowl. Pretty sure one of them will win.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

BethA wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:13 pm On the beach! 🏖️ 🍷

Followed my first thought for quite awhile, but finally had to abandon it. Really astonished to see 3 pages already! Great job!! Happy to join, because it seemed like it was going to be a long weekend to me.
I’m wondering if I’m stuck on your first thought. Because I have had an idea for days I can’t let go of.
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

On shore after a little hint.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

Things have slowed down from yesterday and we have four on the ship and 183 on the shore. Escapeartist is enjoying the Super Bowl brunch on the ship and getting to the shore are:

Schmeel
M and M
MikeyG
Ben B and son
Ann
RDaleHall
ALS
Hidden in 3D
BreeZynCO
Bonnibel
martimeryard
Steve_S
ladybird
cheekumbaldy

Good luck with winning the mug and on your Super Bowl bets
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

On shore. Was in a rabbit hole for 2 days until last night I forced myself to try something different.

Cheering for the Eagles tonight because of the three former Alabama players on their team, each of them awesome.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore after a late start yesterday. Tried a few things and started writing a nudge email and, boom, there it was. On to puzzles from Gaffney, MikeyG, and Will. I’m so far behind!
Kevin
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

If anyone needs another meta to solve, Evan Birnholz has a fun one at the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crosswor ... sf__subnav
Heidi