"One False Note" - May 22, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
stmv

Post by stmv »

Safely on the beach without too much struggle, whew, now I can have a stress-free weekend.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I’m on, too! 🏖🍹
Konnie
txgordo

Post by txgordo »

I'm so excited 1) to find this site, and 2) from the learning, I know I got this week's puzzle correct! That was fun. (Hoping for my mug...)
yeah - had to rate it a 1, like the others. It was fairly easy.

Does the difficulty rotate, like the number puzzles? I can get Killer Sudoku 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 have escaped me so far.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

txgordo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:41 pm I'm so excited 1) to find this site, and 2) from the learning, I know I got this week's puzzle correct! That was fun. (Hoping for my mug...)
yeah - had to rate it a 1, like the others. It was fairly easy.

Does the difficulty rotate, like the number puzzles? I can get Killer Sudoku 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 have escaped me so far.
Congratulations.
on 1) we are thrilled to have you
2) great to be on the beach but it is crowded - don't hold our breath for the mug as I expect that there will be 2500 correct answers. But hope springs eternal in all of us.

The difficulty does not rotate, unlike other contests. Most daily papers have the crosswords and Sudoku get harder as the day of the week goes by. MGWCC gets harder as the week of the month goes by which is why you will hear muggles dreading a month with five weeks.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! First time posting. I’ve been a lurker. I started doing the puzzles/metas 2 years ago with only a small number of successes. I loved following you all on the WSJ Conversations blog. I thought “What a nice bunch of geniuses!”. I didn’t log on here for at first. You know, passwords, etc. But in February, while visiting family in So Cal, I got my sister-in-law hooked so now we are a team! She seems to have a knack for breaking the code. Although I broke it today. That must be what emboldened me to post. Bob, we are working hard on it every weekend so I’ll keep you posted on our status in future. Oh! And it’s cold here so I’ll have a hot toddy and wonder what I’ll do for the rest of the weekend.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Back ashore after a few off weeks! Maybe the easiest meta for me so far.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Countless numbers of us have remarked how easy this puzzle is for them. Now I wonder - If there had been no starred clues, ...
clayden13

Post by clayden13 »

Ashore early this week! Or earlier than usual that is. Just in time for MDW festivities... or lackthereof.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Finally! On shore quickly after a long hiatus. Good to be Tiki-barring again. Cheers all!
Steve1963

Post by Steve1963 »

Ashore for second time ever and just in time for the long weekend. Have a happy and safe one!!!!!
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Had a quick swim to shore last night. I’m very glad they didn’t describe the answer as a famous country singer or I would have felt even more ignorant than I already do.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. Interesting construction but like others had to Google the answer as I had no clue of this person.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

BrianMac wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm
BrianMac wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:10 pm Jet-skied to what I expect will be a very crowded beach. Now to go back and finish the grid. :D

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend!
Something tells me you have the wrong singer on the beach :lol:
Well, I took both kinds into account: country and western! ;)
John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Rawhide. :-)
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Started this one Thursday evening. I find the extra time helps me think about the possibilities and interpretations.

With some confidence I believe I am onshore. This week: a Pinot Grigio spritzer.

And bless our armed forces.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Never heard of the solution either but a quick interwebs check confirms. Not the most challenging meta but a fun AHA moment. Kick back, relax, and may God bless Amurrica.
The other Wendy. :roll:
David R

Post by David R »

Got it last night, solution should be a name familiar to long time crossword solvers.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Grid and meta - check
On shore for party fun - check
Bar tab open - check
One world. One planet. One future.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

They threw us a softball this week. Done and done in record time. Social distancing might be a challenge on such a crowded beach! Good luck Muggles, have a great weekend!
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Not surprised to see such a crowded shore! When I finished the grid and started down an initial path for the meta, I thought, "Here we go with rabbit hole #1" but then... it took me right through to the answer. I'm just going to enjoy the experience, will likely never happen again. ;)
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore!