"Couples Only" June 2, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

Fascinating Zoom discussion today! I've definitely made landfall, and I guess we'll find out Monday if I crashed the wrong beach.

Until then, have a great weekend, all! Time for an IPA. 8-)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thanks everyone for coming on today's ZOOM. It was so great to spend time with such wonderful people! And, there is no better elixir to cure one's troubles than getting together fun loving friends!

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck winning a mug. Hmmm, the more that I think about it, they should award 2 mugs this week based on the title of the puzzle!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
wescovington

Post by wescovington »

On shore. A couple hours ago, but I went to lunch before posting here. I didn't get cramps on the swim in.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:56 am And you get extra credit this week if you could spell psammophile, more if you know what it means. A 14 year old could to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Fortunately our creators probably can't get this word into a meta.
The gauntlet has been thrown. Come on meta creators!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

missed the zoom - is this what it looks to be, or is this a pageant and there's another layer that makes more sense w/ the title?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Happy to be on the beach before the weekend. I know I will be too busy for solving. Enjoying a Paloma as we speak. Good luck all!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On the beach. Dove off the side of the boat and when I cam up for air I was ashore. Not the exercise I was looking for. But I'll call it a stroke of good luck.

I can see the hesitation on some people's part. But when you think about it....
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:15 pm Thanks everyone for coming on today's ZOOM. It was so great to spend time with such wonderful people! And, there is no better elixir to cure one's troubles than getting together fun loving friends!

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck winning a mug. Hmmm, the more that I think about it, they should award 2 mugs this week based on the title of the puzzle!
Wish I could join y'all sometime. Alas, I don't start the puzzle until Friday evening after your Zoom.
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

Quick work getting ashore! Time for a Bombay Sapphire martini. Cheers all!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am on the shore!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:17 pm
ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:15 pm Thanks everyone for coming on today's ZOOM. It was so great to spend time with such wonderful people! And, there is no better elixir to cure one's troubles than getting together fun loving friends!

Wish I could join y'all sometime. Alas, I don't start the puzzle until Friday evening after your Zoom.
There's always Sunday evening last call. Pop in some time!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Got it! This NC Tar Heel is on shore. Beer me! Grid and meta solved. Very clever mechanism. (I'm worried they are going to throw a really, really hard one at us soon)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On the beach!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

on the beach! (after a month or so at sea!)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:13 pm On the beach. Dove off the side of the boat and when I cam up for air I was ashore. Not the exercise I was looking for. But I'll call it a stroke of good luck.

I can see the hesitation on some people's part. But when you think about it....
fine, email sent to the WSJ with my answer.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:55 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:56 am And you get extra credit this week if you could spell psammophile, more if you know what it means. A 14 year old could to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Fortunately our creators probably can't get this word into a meta.
The gauntlet has been thrown. Come on meta creators!
Reminds me of a couple of years ago when @madhatter5 managed to put "orbisculate" into a MEOW. It's not actually a word (yet?) but doing so was part of a challenge when a brother and sister were trying get it accepted as one in honor of their dad who had died of Covid. It means "squirting juice from a grapefruit, etc. into your eye" while attempting to eat it. Growing up, they never realized that their dad had simply made it up. So now they've decided that would serve as a great tribute to him.
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

Well, bless my buttons, I believe I solved it. Rather frisky for a meta!! Mercy!!
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

Nice work. And was just praising your alma mater to a friend today. (I'm a Demon Deacon myself.). Cannot believe I solved this style of meta. I don't often!!
halseymac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:56 pm Got it! This NC Tar Heel is on shore. Beer me! Grid and meta solved. Very clever mechanism. (I'm worried they are going to throw a really, really hard one at us soon)
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

I’ve been traveling for the last couple of weeks, with little time to think about crosswords, let alone metas. Nevertheless, I managed to get this one done and I believe that I’m ashore!
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore! A quick solve.