"Buzz Cut" - May 13, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Janet P wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:41 pm Stuck... glue...

The "King" knew how to move. I grew up in the '50's and saw his career blossom, and it was hard to believe that he died at the age of 42.
Last edited by ship4u on Sun May 15, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Still on the ship. sigh. Been having fun with the grids, but no joy with the metas lately.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Annabelle wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:06 pm Still on the ship. sigh. Been having fun with the grids, but no joy with the metas lately.
You got this :)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

came to check this week's forum posts reaaalllllyyyy hoping to see that at least some others were expressing the same frustration with this meta that i've been sitting with since thursday.

lol.

i suppose now is as good a time as any to admit that i don't understand the "isaac" thing re: the ship, but lately i've been spending most of my time at sea with whatever isaac means/is, so it's getting awkward out there . . .

(also if anybody happens to be throwing nudges around, i'm def over trying to solve this meta unassisted 🫠)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

littlepigeon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:05 pm (also if anybody happens to be throwing nudges around, i'm def over trying to solve this meta unassisted 🫠)
PM sent
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

littlepigeon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:05 pm came to check this week's forum posts reaaalllllyyyy hoping to see that at least some others were expressing the same frustration with this meta that i've been sitting with since thursday.

lol.

i suppose now is as good a time as any to admit that i don't understand the "isaac" thing re: the ship, but lately i've been spending most of my time at sea with whatever isaac means/is, so it's getting awkward out there . . .

(also if anybody happens to be throwing nudges around, i'm def over trying to solve this meta unassisted 🫠)
There’s a fuller explanation over on the Come Aboard board, but here’s the short version.

Crosswords use “at sea” as meaning lost and confused. (Don’t recall hearing that much in real life.)

So people who hadn’t solved the meta started saying they were at sea. And if you’re at sea, may as well be partying on a cruise ship. And the iconic cruise ship - at least for those of us of a certain age - was the Love Boat (TV show). And the Love Boat bartender was Isaac.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

Finally back onshore after being MIA for two weeks due to being sick! Debating whether I should go back and attempt the last two as I haven’t peeked at the solutions yet.
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:45 pm
littlepigeon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:05 pm came to check this week's forum posts reaaalllllyyyy hoping to see that at least some others were expressing the same frustration with this meta that i've been sitting with since thursday.

lol.

There’s a fuller explanation over on the Come Aboard board, but here’s the short version.

Crosswords use “at sea” as meaning lost and confused. (Don’t recall hearing that much in real life.)

So people who hadn’t solved the meta started saying they were at sea. And if you’re at sea, may as well be partying on a cruise ship. And the iconic cruise ship - at least for those of us of a certain age - was the Love Boat (TV show). And the Love Boat bartender was Isaac.

yeah, the sea part i knew, but isaac's eluded me for literal years now. so thanks for the Love Boat reference. growing up, i absolutely adored a few Nick at Nite shows (i can still remember their scheduled programming 😂), but Love Boat never made it into the mix.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I got my days mixed up and just got started on the meta. My recent trend of hanging out with Isaac continues. I thought it would be straightforward, but here I sit. Hoping for post enlightenment!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have had the grid done since Thursday but didn't see it until tonight... Coincidence that we saw after a sip of 🍷? You can decide. Glad to be on shore 🏝️!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

well, my dad and i finally decided to join forces, and with the nudge i got here, *he* figured it out pretty quickly.

definitely one of those metas where, once i've got the answer, i'm truly amazed that i was actually able to miss the important pieces for so long, given how utterly Right There Staring Me Back In My Stupid Face they were the whole time.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ahhh… got a focusing nudge that got us ashore, but dammit! Ain’t no booze left!
Ray
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

mikeB wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:39 pm . . . And the perfect epilogue: Mrs. B pointing out an additional connection I overlooked. Yes, that one. It is a very clever meta. . . .
Same here, except it was Mrs PaloAlto [she has her head screwed on the right way around] who pointed out that connection.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore. Logical, elegant, came quickly once I was what I needed to see.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are slightly tardy but joining all on shore.............dumb struggle!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Although I’m on a bus tour in Spain, I had to try the puzzle, a challenge because I could not fill out the grid on my phone.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

rjy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:26 pm Ahhh… got a focusing nudge that got us ashore, but dammit! Ain’t no booze left!
WAIT! WHAT?

I QUIT!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I think I finally solved it, at least I have four letters that spell a word. It was so much simpler than what I was trying to make it. Hope I haven’t missed something.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

The light finally came on! Ashore.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Finally ashore. I went back to basics, and there it was!