"Getting Possessive" - March 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

On shore! Very satisfying solo solve this week on a fun puzzle. I tried to show it to my wife but got the eye roll that I’m sure a few others are familiar with.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I came here to say that I was with Isaac but a lightbulb went off and I’m almost there. Still not ashore, though. Will have to think about this one.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:34 pm

If anyone thinks that March storms in upstate NY are unusual, my nephew's outdoor May graduation from RPI in 2002 and my daughter's May graduation from Syracuse in 1996 were both in snowstorms

Yep.
I flew out of Burlington, Vermont on Mother’s Day, 1996—in a snowstorm, in a 30 something year-old DC-9. What made the experience even more nerve-racking was the news of the day was the 30 something year-old ValuJet DC-9 that had crashed into the Everglades the previous day. :shock: :shock:
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Still working on the meta.
Someone get an Irish ☕️ ready for Grand Marshal Sisti. QUICKLY!!!!!!!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bayside Bomber

Post by Bayside Bomber »

Ashore…I think. My wife agrees!
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

STL-D wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:33 am So many times for me. Five minutes into the meta, I see the route and am thinking "I'm gonna be on page one!" Since 4:15 yesterday, I have been 100% sure of 50% of the answer. See no way to proceed for the last part, and nothing seems to fit. Gentle nudges welcome.

I’m guessing I am stuck at this same place. Feeling like I am 50% there but am having trouble getting the rest of the way there. Gentle nudges also welcome, and I’m happy to explain in a DM exactly where I am.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

On the beach -- my Saturday pastime. This one had a little unexpected twist to it. Perhaps non-unexpected to the veterans here, but unusual enough to me to cause a flicker of doubt. Pageant? It can't be, I keep saying to myself. Either way, it's a very clever mechanism. Really keen.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I haven't started this one yet but it's comforting to know that if I do take some wrong paths I don't have to wait until I make it to shore for a libation.
Dareringer__75340.1585593704.jpg
jeito

Post by jeito »

i'll take a case.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

norrin2 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:41 pm I haven't started this one yet but it's comforting to know that if I do take some wrong paths I don't have to wait until I make it to shore for a libation.

[Dareringer.jpg]
Oh yeah! I'm a big fan of PX Sherry. (It's my alcoholic version of pure maple syrup. Though its taste is more like liquid raisins.) So having a bourbon aged in PX Sherry casks sounds most enticing.
john day

Post by john day »

We are ashore and drinking our celebratory IPA from Revolution brewing. I enjoyed solving this with my
daughter as is my usual methodology.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

I would appreciate a nudge. Not seeing step #2 at all.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Once again, forlorn, bewildered--
A rabbit infestation!
The grid was fine, but per the norm,
the Meta's a frustration.
This hole, that hole, oh so many
I've taken up spelunking.
But any port will do in storms:
Make rabbit stew, I'm thinking!
Cryptrix

Post by Cryptrix »

Guess I'll join the stuck on part 2 club DX

Got the first half of the secret but nothing seems to make full sense for the rest. Happy for a nudge!
Last edited by Cryptrix on Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Finally sat down and powered through some rough-ish waters. Safely on the beach!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Harbo

Post by Harbo »

Ashore. Not an easy one for the beginner. Rabbit holes for the dis-organized.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Finally ashore thanks to a couple of very kind muggles.
I was living in a rabbit hole for way too long with this one.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Onshore. Rube Goldberg would have enjoyed this meta. I did too.

Mr. Shenk's style brings to mind a safecracker who appreciates the logic of a hard-click when the tumblers fall. Mr. Gaffney's style is more akin to solving an escape room. Both are equally admired and appreciated by this muggle.

The Bradford Pears and March Lillies should be hitting their stride this coming week. For those muggles within distance, enjoy! Unfortunately, in my neighborhood the term "vicariously" is used frequently this time of year. The good news: one less hour until spring is officially here.

Have a great week!

Jeffrey
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing.... duh!

Ashore!

Rita and George
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Course Correction

I’m on shore but it’s not without doubt
If I’m there then it’s nothing to tout
So here’s my confession:
Don’t know the expression
A strong start, in the end, petered out

After browsing other’s posts this week, I am going to submit my solution but my confidence level is not what I would like. My answer could reasonably fit the available clues but I feel like I am missing something that should be getting me from point A to point B. In short, I am not sure the course I’ve chosen is really deserving of the meta I am submitting.
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense