"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

ASHORE after a nudge from Boharr.
Beautiful meta. I won’t submit but at least I can finally get an icy cold G&T! Now where is that cabana boy?
Good luck everyone.
pjc

Post by pjc »

Might be on shore and submitted; we'll see when all is revealed!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Needed a nudge, but I'm on shore, very clever mechanism! It was a new one for me.
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Hmmm... stuck at the bar for now, will revisit tomorrow. Congrats to those who got it.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

My confidence in the solution wasn't great, but has been boosted by all the complaints about that dreadful song :)
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

KatieCollier wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:25 pm I’m still on the ship but see what I’m supposed to be working with, I just don’t know what to do with them (or how 8 letters result). But I’m more curious about this song hint that people say brings them back to their “teenage” or “younger” years - can we get a little more context as to what decade we’re talking about? ;)
That would be a spoiler. I’m sure you will hear it when you solve. Lucky for me, my neighbor was playing some music when I walked the dogs, and I now have a much better ear worm.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 am
I go to as many of our local minor league team's home games as I can, and always bring my scorer book. One time I was there with one of my exes and was keeping score... I had to go get a beer, so I taught her some of the basics -- HBP, 5-3, K-2, etc. -- and left. A couple minutes later I came back with my beer and checked the book when she handed it over. "Cool," I said, "You're at the right batter and the outs match the scoreboard... but wait... when I left, the runner was at first, and now he's at second. How'd he get there?" Looking at the book, I see she'd written "HJW." "HJW?" I ask. "What's that?" She says "He just went." A couple more notes. Our team -- the Utica Blue Sox -- was once co-owned by Bill Murray, who sang the National Anthem at a game once, and this summer, the Hall of Fame will be welcoming Larry Walker, who played his first pro baseball game for the Utica Blue Sox in 1985.
My mom almost always brought her scorer book to any games we went to as a kid. And they were never major league where I grew up, usually little league. She said it kept her from getting bored.
femullen

Post by femullen »

boharr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:53 am
femullen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:35 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm

In Boston, there are usually a few expletives associated with them no matter whether you say them in English or French. Kind of like Bucky **&%% Dent but who carries a grudge.
Bucky Dent. Well do I remember him, God rest his soul. I remember watching that game (and that play: palm, forehead) shortly after moving from LA to Boston. Sox in the World Series that year, Patriots in the Stupor Bowl, and in the middle of a multi-year Lakers-Celtics NBA series. Lived in Beantown for the next 25 years. What a great sports town is Boston! But in hockey, I am a Montréal boy. To borrow from my Red Sox friends, I cheer for two teams: Montréal and whoever is playing Toronto.
Um, Bucky Dent is still alive. It's Bill Buckner who has passed. No matter. Both shall live in our memories forever. Go Habs Go.
I'm glad Bucky is feeling better. But does this mean he'll keep collecting new middle names?
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
boharr

Post by boharr »

femullen wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:43 pm
boharr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:53 am
femullen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Bucky Dent. Well do I remember him, God rest his soul. I remember watching that game (and that play: palm, forehead) shortly after moving from LA to Boston. Sox in the World Series that year, Patriots in the Stupor Bowl, and in the middle of a multi-year Lakers-Celtics NBA series. Lived in Beantown for the next 25 years. What a great sports town is Boston! But in hockey, I am a Montréal boy. To borrow from my Red Sox friends, I cheer for two teams: Montréal and whoever is playing Toronto.
Um, Bucky Dent is still alive. It's Bill Buckner who has passed. No matter. Both shall live in our memories forever. Go Habs Go.
I'm glad Bucky is feeling better. But does this mean he'll keep collecting new middle names?
Our cruise director would know best, but I'd bet he will.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Took me longer than last week's puzzle, but I am now ashore. Phew!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Will try to be more discreet than last week (sorry about that). I think I have the material from the grid that I need for the meta, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Still time to think about it. Meanwhile, enjoying the baseball discussion. Cubs play on TV tonight!
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

On shore. Feel like a total dope. Had the concept quickly and was flying through it and didn't see one easy step and started spinning out for no good reason. Got a nudge and now am good.
ReB

Post by ReB »

I'm on shore, hopefully the correct one, but everything does fit logically into place.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. Clever one. Make it a Manhattan.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

On shore. In a manner of speaking, as water in the Santa Clara Valley is scarce. But it is nice and sunny and there is a cold beverage in hand.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

I've got an answer but will wait to submit until I can convince myself it is correct. :?

Update: figured out I do not have the right answer but pretty sure I've got the right song in my head now. Which counts for absolutely nothing. :lol:
Last edited by CopperRiver on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

I’m stuck at sea with Isaac and a few friendly Muggles. Haven’t given up though.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! Not my favorite, but an interesting solve nonetheless.
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Colin

Post by Colin »

Onboard, cannot start.
Hours on meta, now lost heart.
Anyone for darts?
One world. One planet. One future.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Colin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:13 pm Onboard, cannot start.
Hours on meta, now lost heart.
Anyone for darts?
Trying to do the meta
Instead you’re just getting fed-ah
the ends all come up dead-ah
maybe just make a bet-ah

Don’t carry a grudge
and refuse to budge
or OD on fudge
that just will cause pudge
come get a nudge

I‘m making a declaration
it‘s spreading throughout the nation 🇺🇸
if you are getting impatien‘
and you want to feel elation
a nudge is cooperation

need to unravel the spool
take a dip in the pool
no need to feel like a fool🤡
or behave like a tool
getting a nudge is cool

after you’ve given up tryin
getting a nudge is fine
especially one of mine
step away from the wine
it may even be divine
and it‘s about time

15 months in my house 🏠
but I didn’t stop to grouse
or berate my spouse
or with alcohol my problems douse 🥃
or solve equations like Gauss
but with Mike and Matt I did jous‘

trying to win the mug
instead I just get a shrug
trying to find the bug
for nudges I‘ll make a plug

time to call it a day
my brain is wasting away
I soon will hit the hay
I did the meta on Friday 😎
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.