MEOW #77: Introductions

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

DebbieC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 am
lbray53 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:33 am I believe that this is view number 637 and apparently still nobody has an inkling of what this is about. About 50 of the views are mine.
Totally agree with you. For me, puzzles are fun and challenging, not annoying. Am moving on . . .
That's a little harsh. I imagine there's a fun little quirk or pun involving a phrase that refers to having no information that can double as an introduction or salutation. It's a matter of thinking of it. I'm... drawing a blank (... hey! Is that it?.... [uh, no, it isn't]) but I'm sure when I hear it I'll think it was cute. I just don't think I can think of anything I haven't thought of.

Or maybe there is hidden information we haven't thought of. I don't see how there can be as there is nothing that wouldn't have an overly high arbitrary random noise.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

I am sincerely sorry if anyone was/is put off by this week's puzzle. Obviously the goal is always merely to entertain and I admit I am surprised by the difficulty on this one.

Resisting the urge to give early nudges, still hoping the muggle mind will spot the trick :)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:22 pm
lbray53 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:33 am I believe that this is view number 637 and apparently still nobody has an inkling of what this is about. About 50 of the views are mine.
Totally agree with you. For me, puzzles are fun and challenging, not annoying. Am moving on . . .
That's a little harsh. I imagine there's a fun little quirk or pun involving a phrase that refers to having no information that can double as an introduction or salutation. It's a matter of thinking of it. I'm... drawing a blank (... hey! Is that it?.... [uh, no, it isn't]) but I'm sure when I hear it I'll think it was cute. I just don't think I can think of anything I haven't thought of.

Or maybe there is hidden information we haven't thought of. I don't see how there can be as there is nothing that wouldn't have an overly high arbitrary random noise.
On the other hand, if someone doesn't like a puzzle, there's nothing obligating them to try to solve it.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 pm

On the other hand, if someone doesn't like a puzzle, there's nothing obligating them to try to solve it.
True. But there's no need to be "annoyed" about it.
Stinky Pinkies!

Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:38 pm
Dplass wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 pm

True. But there's no need to be "annoyed" about it.
Speak for yerself! But thanks @madhatter5 for the puzzle, even if I am baffled. :)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I can remember once, many years ago, solving a Wheel of Fortune puzzle with no letters. There was a hyphen or an apostrophe, or something, that suggested an answer (which I now can’t remember) — and it turned out to be right!

But I’m not experiencing that effect here.
Meg

Post by Meg »

When do we get a hint? Look at my avatar puppy! How can you resist? She needs a hint!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Ok but only because of the puppy

My clues may be a tad more laconic than usual but you still need to fill the grid

... But with what? Consider the title!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

How many have solved this puzzle? I extend kudos to those brilliant muggles!!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Nada….. still looking!
xfiles

Post by xfiles »

I just joined the group. Can't find the "new topic" button. Trying to find out something about yesterday's puzzle. The clue "representative group"--it appears the answer is CONTENT with the "e" subsumed in both the across and down answer. Can anyone explain the answer? Does it possibly have something to do with British parliament lobbies for votes "aye" and "no" as either "content" or "non-content"? If that's the case it's a REALLY obscure clue.

xfiles
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I think I have solved the grid. I was filling it in using the website and I got a "Congratulations, you have completed the puzzle!" But I'm still not seeing what to do with the circled letters! :?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

xfiles wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 pm I just joined the group. Can't find the "new topic" button. Trying to find out something about yesterday's puzzle. The clue "representative group"--it appears the answer is CONTENT with the "e" subsumed in both the across and down answer. Can anyone explain the answer? Does it possibly have something to do with British parliament lobbies for votes "aye" and "no" as either "content" or "non-content"? If that's the case it's a REALLY obscure clue.

xfiles
Check your PM's.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

benchen71 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 pm I think I have solved the grid. I was filling it in using the website and I got a "Congratulations, you have completed the puzzle!" But I'm still not seeing what to do with the circled letters! :?
Got the 'congratulations' message after completing the grid with two entirely different sets of letters (starting fresh in between).
-Tamara
woozy

Post by woozy »

BrennerTJ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:31 pm
benchen71 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 pm I think I have solved the grid. I was filling it in using the website and I got a "Congratulations, you have completed the puzzle!" But I'm still not seeing what to do with the circled letters! :?
Got the 'congratulations' message after completing the grid with two entirely different sets of letters (starting fresh in between).
randomly typed in a bunch of letter ("AFDSDAFEAGDFDAFDAFAD.... etc.") and got the Congratulations. It means nothing more or less than you have filled in the puzzle completely.
Stinky Pinkies!

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:49 pm
BrennerTJ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:31 pm
randomly typed in a bunch of letter ("AFDSDAFEAGDFDAFDAFAD.... etc.") and got the Congratulations. It means nothing more or less than you have filled in the puzzle completely.
Darn! I thought I was onto something.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Just back home and catching up -- and getting a hoot out of some of those page one posts!
Particularly, Mini-Mad Hatter!

As for this puzzle itself...
Capturecatweird.PNG
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

We have a solver!!

Congrats markhr, your reward is a giant flood of nudge requests
markhr

Post by markhr »

On the board! Woo hoo! And the first one, apparently.
It is solvable after all, with a little ingenuity.