MEOW #70 Whose House Is This?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:35 pm
Dplass wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:41 am Thanks for the puzzle DrTom. Being neither a fan of inferred answers nor English lit, this one is impassable for this solver.
Sorry, you know the saying:
You can please some of the people all of the time,
All of the people some of the time
But you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Hope the next one is better for you.
Indeed. Doesn't mean it won't keep nagging at me...I'll look at the hints when they come out.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Cat has gone outside. I hope not to see who lives in this house
2938F4B5-167D-48DA-9C08-C6B0767AC917.jpeg
You’re a fungi, DT. Also a clever guy.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:36 am Cat has gone outside. I hope not to see who lives in this house
2938F4B5-167D-48DA-9C08-C6B0767AC917.jpeg
You’re a fungi, DT. Also a clever guy.
Well I've always hoped people would consider me a good SporeT or at least as cute as a button. Excuse me, I am going to go listen to my favorite composer, Giacomo Porcini.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:27 am
DrTom wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:35 pm
Dplass wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:41 am Thanks for the puzzle DrTom. Being neither a fan of inferred answers nor English lit, this one is impassable for this solver.
Sorry, you know the saying:
You can please some of the people all of the time,
All of the people some of the time
But you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Hope the next one is better for you.
Indeed. Doesn't mean it won't keep nagging at me...I'll look at the hints when they come out.
Saturday morning for the Spoilers (or maybe late Friday if I am still up)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solver Board Update:
16 BarbaraK
17 lbray53
18 MaineMArge
19 Cinny
20 Small Wave Dave
21 CPJohnson
22 HeadinHome
23 Bbaack

Boy you can really tell when the WSJ and MGWCC come out, my flurry of solvers dropped to the occasional snowflake falling from the sky. Still, people seem to like it for all of its flaws so I'm delighted. Nudges coming real soon.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

It’s NUDGE time!

As is my typical nudge post, there are several, and each is another level of blatancy. There is NO shame in revealing them all or I would not have posted them all. I know only too well the angst of seeing a puzzle everyone is solving but me, and everyone is saying “piece of cake” or “thanks for the easy one” when I am staring at a piece of paper filled with scribbles and marks that reveal nothing. So, smoke em if you got em….

small 30A tells you where to look for the type of literature

Medium LOTS of characters/animals/objects in this one, and they are in the same order as in the Nursery Rhyme

LARGE Get the characters and Mr. Google is a loudmouth! :x :x

EXTRA LARGE Ever watch Will and Grace?
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Needed nudges one and two above - thanks for helping me get that cat up and out of the bag!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
markhr

Post by markhr »

Still totally lost. Oh well..

Update: Cat is released.
Last edited by markhr on Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat has been nudged out of the bag. Fun grid and meta. Thanks, Dr. Tom
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

De cat is de bagged. Took me all the nudges and a lot of Googling. Thanks for the puzzle!
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

I let the cat out . . . I'm pretty SURE it's a cat

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY! (at Dr. Tom Drag Way - and there will be many who go WHAT?) Solver board update:
24 MamaE
25 DowJones
26 Dplass
27 MarkWoychick
28 markhr
29 CromsFury
30 BIrdLives

If anyone is still struggling PM me and I'll push you a little further along!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:05 pm Sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY! (at Dr. Tom Drag Way - and there will be many who go WHAT?) Solver board update:
24 MamaE
25 DowJones
26 Dplass
27 MarkWoychick
28 markhr
29 CromsFury
30 BIrdLives

I for one do recognize Sunday SUNday SUNDAY!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:25 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:05 pm Sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY! (at Dr. Tom Drag Way - and there will be many who go WHAT?) Solver board update:
24 MamaE
25 DowJones
26 Dplass
27 MarkWoychick
28 markhr
29 CromsFury
30 BIrdLives

Back in my day (60's and 70's) drag racing was a much bigger "sport" than it is today. Many of us with "muscle cars" would spend hours and (today's equivalent) of many hundreds of dollars trying to make our cars just that much faster. Our way to prove that legally (which of course I would NEVER do any other way) was to go to local drag strips where they would have, in addition to well known competitors, competitions between amateurs. The radio commercials (TV commercials if you were in a big enough city) for those testosterone and ego fueled establishments (drag strips), since they were almost exclusively on the week-end, almost invariably started with a loud Sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY at [insert name here} dragways...top fuel funny-cars meet nitro blasted rockets in a quarter mile fight for supremacy, don't miss it, Sunday SUNday, SUNDAY!!!
https://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/16/r-i ... ay-sunday/
Sunday Sunday Sunday.jpg
boharr

Post by boharr »

24 MamaE
25 DowJones
26 Dplass
27 MarkWoychick
28 markhr
29 CromsFury
30 BIrdLives

Me too.
vandono

Post by vandono »

boharr wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:00 pm
24 MamaE
25 DowJones
26 Dplass
27 MarkWoychick
28 markhr
29 CromsFury
30 BIrdLives

Me too.
Oh, absolutely! A few miles from here there was the Cowtown Speedway (1/4 mile clay oval) and Texas Raceway (drag strip). Both there since the 60s and both survived into this century. I remember their radio spots in the 70s. I think I remember there being cart racing and demolition derbies... maybe others. Sadly, both are closed now. There is another track just south of the Cowtown that I believe still has races, but it won't make it much longer; the city wants those properties developed to bring in more tax revenue.

Sunday, SUNday SUNDAY! Thanks for the memories, Doc!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Even with the nudges this cat is still in the bag and hiding under the couch....I do feel badly for the cat
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well there might be one more out there but in general I think everyone who is going to solve has solved. Not a bad turnout for the puzzle; including the last two:
31 LindaPRmaven
32 Jeremy Smith

I have a total of 32. Thank you to everyone who solved.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

OK MEOWers, it is reveal time. This was an infernal puzzle, i.e. you had to infer the answer from the clues you found along the way, and in this case there were 10 little tidbits:
Whose House Forum solve.jpg
This is the FARMER sowing his corn
That kept the COCK that crowed in the morn
That woke the JUDGE all shaven and shorn
That married the MAN all tattered and torn
That kissed the MAIDEN all forlorn
That milked the COW with the crumpled horn
That tossed the DOG that worried the CAT
That chased the RAT that ate the CHEESE
That lay in the house that JACK built.

So, it is JACK'S house!

Yes, there is some discussion as to whether it should be Judge/Priest, Cheese/Malt, Cock/Rooster, Rat/mouse, Chased/Killed but these are all acceptable it appears and one can find any combination if you look long enough. Luckily either your memory wasn’t that good (assuming most of us recited this Nursery Rhyme some time ago) that you said “Oh, no that can’t be ‘The House That Jack Built’ because that one says Priest or Malt” or you used Mr. G who was happy to match up almost any combination to give the right answer.

I got several Farmer in the Dells – however he did not have a judge until he took a local gas company to court for fracking on his property. Plus, that is of German origin and we wanted English

Similarly I got Old McDonald but he had Ducks, Sheep and any number of other things. Plus he did not have a judge either, or not for years after he separated from Old Mrs. McDonald and sued her for using the family name on a hamburger empire. Interesting fact – Old McDonald was originally written in 1706 for an Opera of all things.

Thank you to all the solvers and for all of your kind comments. Apparently this evoked as much nostalgia as it did frustration and that's a win!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Very nicely done, but do we really know whose house Jack built? :P