Warren Piece

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I’ve found some things, and figured out what connects those things thematically, and now I’m stuck.

Steven McKinney
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

That was a really fun puzzle Rick! Confirmed on Crosshare.
Heidi
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wow! I stared and stared and FINALLY saw the right path. Rick, that was a fantastic puzzle!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m still on the sofa with the other folks who’ve found the first step but don’t see how to get from there to an answer.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Abide

Post by Abide »

This took me a while as well, but it all ties together so nicely. No sophomore slump from Cap’n Rick!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well that was a diverting and relaxing 30 minutes! Thanks for the puzzle! (Confirmed on Crosshare)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

HeadinHome wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:55 pm Well that was a diverting and relaxing 30 minutes! Thanks for the puzzle! (Confirmed on Crosshare)
Only 30 minutes??!! Relaxing??!! I guess I'll have to toughen up my future metas. :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

A bit of googling helps on this one.
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:08 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:55 pm Well that was a diverting and relaxing 30 minutes! Thanks for the puzzle! (Confirmed on Crosshare)
Only 30 minutes??!! Relaxing??!! I guess I'll have to toughen up my future metas. :lol:
That’s what it took me too.
Heidi
vandono

Post by vandono »

oh, man - finally! Crosshare confirms I've catapulted clear of the couch cushions. I could cry.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:08 pm
MAYBE 40 minutes? Yeah, I am a fairly speedy gridder. The meta itself I just happened to see right away… but I can easily see how some would see the first step and then wonder for a while what in the world to do with it, if one of the bits doesn’t wave a big flag at you immediately (one of them did that to me, and broke the code quickly).

Relaxing may be a relative term — big chaotic day of work yesterday! (Multiple little fires, clock ticking on everything… so to sit down with coffee to solve one solvable conundrum without worrying about there being another one on its heels was comparative bliss.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

OK, here's the leaderboard as of this morning:

Testers
boharr
Abide
Al Sisti
Answerpfinder
whimsy

Muggles
MMe
benchen71
Schmeel
Meg
bhamren
Dplass
rjy
Darth
oldjudge
lbray53
FrankieHeck
ChrisKochmanski
RPardoe
ImOnToo
cbarbee002
MarkWoychick
Dave C
hcbirker
Bbaack
Golem
Laura M
Wendy Walker
mindle
markhr
HeadinHome
vandano

Please let me know if I've missed anyone!

Nudges tomorrow.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Just fell off the couch! Yay! (Confirmed on Crosshare)
Good one, Cap’n Rick!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:43 am
MAYBE 40 minutes? Yeah, I am a fairly speedy gridder. The meta itself I just happened to see right away… but I can easily see how some would see the first step and then wonder for a while what in the world to do with it, if one of the bits doesn’t wave a big flag at you immediately (one of them did that to me, and broke the code quickly).
The meta brain is a funny thing. There’s nothing remotely spoilery in this, but after I read it, I took another look at the puzzle and noticed something that led to something and all of a sudden, my couch is empty.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Fantastic puzzle...Jumped off the couch.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Eggcellent puzzle and meta.
Put me in the best mood I've been on a Monday in a long time even though I couldn't solve until Tuesday.
Thanks Cap'n Rick!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Got there (finally)

Steven McKinney
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

The following Muggles can be added to the leaderboard:

Ergcat
BarbaraK
minimuggle
michaelm
woozy
SJMcK
JeanneC

Since this meta seems to be playing a little on the difficult side, I'm releasing the Wednesday nudges just after midnight.

Usually solvers will want to avoid rabbit holes, but for this puzzle they should seek them out.

Once you've found all the rabbit holes (or rabbits with "holes" in their names), look for other clues that fit these names.

The first letters of the answers to the alternate clues (in grid order) spell the name of a familiar character with rabbit hole experience.

Feel free to PM me with your answers or if you need more help.

Good luck!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Enjoyed this puzzle! Had me going for the first 2 days and then a late night ta dah!
Challenging but fair.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Off the couch.
I didn't see it at first glance, took a second look this morning, and joined in the hunt, which included some Googling to supplement my cultural ignorance.
I admire the idea and the construction. The title was an extra goodie, the term for which might be connected with the theme.
Jay