"For That Special Someone" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Tom Wilson wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:20 pm That was fun! (Though perhaps not as much fun as hearing me string together random entries before I landed on "the one.")
I wish I could have heard that!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
boharr

Post by boharr »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:46 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:55 am The comments at Crosshare mentioned Naticks, but I thought the fill was fairly straightforward, especially by comparison. But that "POS machine" at 75A had me doing a double take as I have often used those same three letters to describe machines (currently, my Fios remote, which can change the TV channels but not the volume).
"POS" can mean "point of sale". Is this just an Australian thing, perhaps?
POS can also mean point of sale here the US. Bird’s usage is more colorful however.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:34 pm Fun puzzle!
N.B. The show referenced in 63A has been in the news a lot this past week -- apparently it's being cancelled after many years and loyal viewers are not happy to say the least.
What? No! I hadn't heard anything about this.
(Actually, I don't think I've ever watched an episode in my life - although I have driven past the street used for external shoots. It's in Melbourne, not far from where I once worked.)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:10 pm Storming the castle.

Submission was the difficult part.
Sorry about that. I'm hoping the updated meta prompt helps. But it was hard to know what to say without giving the game away!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Across the MOAT and in the CASTLE. It's nice in here. Benchen is that Special Person!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:02 pm Across the MOAT and in the CASTLE. It's nice in here. Benchen is that Special Person!
Aw shucks! You are too kind. :oops:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:52 pm
lbray53 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:10 pm Storming the castle.

Submission was the difficult part.
Sorry about that. I'm hoping the updated meta prompt helps. But it was hard to know what to say without giving the game away!
No apology necessary. A little more fun on the meta that’s all.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
vandono

Post by vandono »

I've crossed the moat without a boat
I've climbed the castle wall
And there I wrote this simple note:
"May Fortune find you all!"
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

End of the first day and we have lots of happy solvers:

Darth
ChrisKochmanski
Woozy
Dow Jones
Laura M
Cindy Heisler
Capn Rick
Meg
Hector
dplass
DIS
LuckyGuest
boharr
Bird Lives
Tyrpmom
whimsy
Chaddog
Tom Wilson
Sharkicicles
wendy walker
DrTom
kymike
lbray53
rjy
oldjudge
LB800
carter
markhr
Sommersmith
Julia
vandono
grandperoxide
Gutman
Bbaack

Well done everyone!
KayW

Post by KayW »

❌🐰🌪⛈🏰 Very nice!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Pretty sure I’ve crossed the moat. Thanks, Cinny! And thanks, Ben. Keep ‘em coming.
Cynthia
Abide

Post by Abide »

Third submission’s the charm! I must not speak Aussie phonetics🤨😁
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

CPJohnson wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:48 pm Pretty sure I’ve crossed the moat. Thanks, Cinny! And thanks, Ben. Keep ‘em coming.
Lots more to come! I just completed one that will come out in November, with puzzles all ready to go for every Tuesday between now and then. If I can think of a mechanism I'll keep making puzzles! :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's Saturday morning here in Australia, so that means nudges! But first, here are some more successful meta solvers:

Carolyn
kieranjboyd
KayW
kiplet
hashbrown
schmidzy
K7
gee
Abide
CPJohnson
Matt A
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The four gift entries are the only clues you're getting.

2. Actually, that's not true: there is a vague shape in the grid that is also a clue.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Crossed the moat via PM.

Didn’t need nudges, just didn’t get to it til now.

The 63A/65D intersection was the only letter I had no idea about and let puzzazz fill in for me.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
hoover

Post by hoover »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:46 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:55 am The comments at Crosshare mentioned Naticks, but I thought the fill was fairly straightforward, especially by comparison. But that "POS machine" at 75A had me doing a double take as I have often used those same three letters to describe machines (currently, my Fios remote, which can change the TV channels but not the volume).
"POS" can mean "point of sale". Is this just an Australian thing, perhaps?
No, POS can mean "point of sale" in AmE as well.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Last solvers before the answer reveal...

Golem
frostyjhammer
BobJas
Hidden in 3D
Philip Chow
SewYoung

... for a total of 52 successful solvers.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And the answer to "For That Special Someone" is...

For That Special Someone (solution).png

Not completely surprising, given what the day is today!

After some initial confusion stemming from the meta prompt, I made a small change to the wording. Then, later in the week, I also made a change on Crosshare to accept "val lent eins dei".

A new MOAT challenge coming your way tomorrow... :D