MEOW #51: Anger Management

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm - either everyone s stumped (unlikely), burned out from a couple of weeks of WSJ monsters (possible), or we've managed to put out a "clunker" (please don't let that be the case!).

On the odd chance that it is the first here is an early nudge:
When making Metas and looking for themes I never know which is better, Borrow or rob
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
boharr

Post by boharr »

It's no clunker IMHO.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew, got it! Agree it's no clunker by any stretch, just needed a fresh set of eyes this morning to see what I was missing. Solid AHA!
Ray
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I released the feline. Thanks for the puzzle!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm still struggling. Hoping for more nudges tomorrow.
Cynthia
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:47 pm I'm still struggling. Hoping for more nudges tomorrow.
Me too!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved a few days ago but I forgot to post--good job Tom and Josh!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudge Saturday!

Maybe all you need is a little reflection

My friends and I are ecclesiophobiacs. We panic in a pew.

Said the Muggle who opened the abandoned bag: "Was it a cat I saw?"
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Got it with the nudges. I really should have got this earlier. I had seen what I needed to see, but (once again) that had not caused me to look closer.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Josh beat me to it, but I'll be generous because I know folks are agonizing over the WSJ and MGWCC (at least I am)

I guess I listen to to many folks who said - "when making nudges try to be a pal in deed"

You don't always have to go to the ends of the world to find what you need. sometimes just the end of the words

Only 1 of the clued "Letter" answers is important, and that is clued so that you should notice
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

New to the solvers board:

Dplass
rjy
oldjudge
benchen71
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yup - needed that last nudge because that was the one tripping me up. (What the &$?! do I do with that?? 😡)

Clever !! Cat finally free to nap now, in front of the football games.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Whew, needed those nudges this week, but cat finally extricated from that stupid bag!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
KayW

Post by KayW »

I needed remedial nudges this week but cat is finally out of the bag.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well it looks like it will be a light solver, or at least a light submitter, week for the MEOW. Here is our board:

Schmeel
Darth
Boharr
Meg
Carolyn
Woozy
Bird Lives
Cindy
ChrisKocmanski
Dplass
rjy
oldjudge
benchen71
lbray
HeadInHome
MamaE
BarbaraK
KayW

But hey, don't despair, there is still time to reject that darn near impossible MG and apply all your solving skills to the MEOW, what better way to manage your anger?
hoover

Post by hoover »

The cats finally drooled enough to make the bag soggy enough to tear open.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two final solvers to add to the board:
hoover
MaineMarge

Ah, anger abated as people finally find the cat to release. perhaps it is a TACO CAT?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK cat chasers here is the Anger Management reveal:
IM MAD REVEAL.jpg
There were a total of 20 "Glad" solvers and probably a few who are indeed "mad" at us for the ugly scowling GRID and the "red herrings". Trust us, SILENTU and HTILE were not part of the solve and we tried to indicate that only the T was important by the way we clued it. I also have to apologize to everyone (but mostly Meg :D ) for the return engagement of PSS. I fell into the same trap as others have, looking for clues and the clue database giving up "Post Post Script" as an acceptable clue. I have since researched it at numerous sites and found that, as one might imagine, our Meg is right. PSS for PPS is just out in gauche field. If we were smart we would have somehow included it to clue the missing T with something like "Hey we are trying to get your attention but something is missing!" Of course PSST might have been too cryptic.

Hope you enjoyed it

PS to those who solved our thanks

PSS ( :lol: ) for those who didn't, we will try to do better next time!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I HAVE to post a message I got from one of the crowd. A muggle, hoover, sent me a message that said the puzzle would have been solved earlier but he was too used to using DAMN IT and did not see the palindrome.

As legitimate as that is, it gave me the chance to post that this may be the first META to ever have its solution hindered by the hoover damn.... :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

I sent this fun item to the puzzle creators, but now that the cat is out of the bag, I can share it openly:

The only known bilingual palindrome: Anger? ‘Tis safe never. Bar it! Use love.

Spell that backward and you get: Evoles ut ira breve nefas sit; regna!

which appropriate to the theme is Latin for: "Rise up, in order that your anger may be but a brief madness; control it!"