"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore. Merry Christmas, Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Upstater wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:41 pm Same theme as the Harper's cryptic a short while back!
Welcome to the muggle clan

Which state are you upstate in?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Squirrely718

Post by Squirrely718 »

On shore! Took a while too see the solution, but it was a nice aha! moment.

Here's a picture of a festive Rubik's cube mosaic I made right before solving tonight. Merry Christmas, everyone!
Original Rubik's cube mosaic (40 cubes)
Original Rubik's cube mosaic (40 cubes)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore ... and wishing the happiest of holidays to all!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Made it to shore! Merry Holidays to all the Muggles! Just finished some Mexican hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream spiked with homemade Bailey's. Life is good... hope Santa is good to us all!

Attachments
IMG_1755.jpg
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
PJM

Post by PJM »

Ashore!

Eggnog w/bourbon, easy on the nutmeg please.

Cheers, all!
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Onshore! I was thinking I was going to have to ask for a nudge for the third week in a row, which would have wounded my pride, but then something clicked. Bailey's on the rocks for me!

Happy holidays to all!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I do NOT agree that this one was easy. 15 minutes on the grid, but HOURS to get to the meta, with plenty of false leads to trick a weary soul. Once found, it’s very satisfying. But I still don’t understand what the ... well, better not finish that sentence yet.

Covid isolating here this week after a positive test last Friday (almost a week ago now). Even DH staying in opposite side of the house) — though I have ZERO symptoms and he just got a negative test result from two days ago. I know false negatives on a PCR are ultra rare, but really?? Not a single symptom and no one exposed to me has any symptoms. We will both test again Saturday and if both negative can gather with our kids and grandkids for a late make-up Christmas next week. 2020 is going out in true 2020 style.

Merry Christmas to those of you who share my faith, and happy holidays to the rest of you, friends! And may we all find PEACE and better health and togetherness in 2021.
The other Wendy. :roll:
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

First time I have made it to shore on the first day...and without any nudges!

Happy Holidays!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Happy to report on the beach and no nudges.

Completely sober meta was a mystery to me. Couple of Dewar's on the rocks and there it is.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Wow, I must be really overthinking this one. Happy holidays all!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Finally, after the numerous attempts to get a toehold, I found my way to shore. Happy Holidays to All !!
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

On shore! Will have a celebratory rum-and-cider soon. Happy holidays of all kinds to you wonderful people!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am relieved to read that least a few others are finding this a challenge. I have started over four times hoping to catch the magic of solving before completing the grid. I have tried several solving methods with no success. At least I have an extra day and something to do on Christmas. Maybe I will find the present.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

HO HO HO! Happily on the beach. Enjoy your day, everyone.
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Ashore, with eggnog.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LizD wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:26 pm
EmilyW wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:57 pm On shore and celebrating with a coconut imperial stout called Short Skirt Long Jacket from my local brewery Limitless. Glad to be back on the beach after staying on the boat last weekend.
That is a fantastic name for a beer! Raise your hand if you get the reference and we'll all know what generation you hail from. 🤣
Had to look up the reference since I never heard of it or heard it before. Luckily it was a piece of Cake. Now if the beer had been called "Along Comes Mary", that I would have gotten.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:16 pm
Janet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:57 pm

"Snow Way".
Aaargh, you've sleighed me! Yule be sorry!
Don't give me Claus to retaliate, you'd paw deerly. That's me pullin' yule log.

"I couldn't keep up with you, you were running so fast", Tom santa'd (the "p" is silent, as will the knights).
You are vexen me and have even dashered my hopes of staying on top of the pun war...I feel so cupid! I'm just going to donner my rude elf suit, get blitzened and dancer around the festivus tree until I comet.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Nice Christmas present from Mike. Count me ashore.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Stay well
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Ashore this fine Christmas morning, sipping a Hardywood Kentucky Christmas Morning from my WSJ crossword champion mug.

Merry Holidays, everyone!