"Two by Two" - November 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore!
Time for an Anita Strawberry!!!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Almost forgot about the meta this week! :o Just coming out of my post-Thanksgiving haze and happily am ashore! No more wine, but would love a crisp winter ale to pair with my leftovers... Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Safely ashore!

As usual, spaced out and just remembered this today. At least I didn't wait until Sunday at 11:59!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Martin wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:02 am It would be nice if we could find a permanent place to post the link to the latest contest puzzle in Across Lite format:
http://tinyurl.com/mugglespuz

Every Thursday, at about 4:07 PM ET, it switches to the new contest puzzle.

In any case, it might be a good URL to bookmark.

As long as I'm here plugging the link, I'll add my name to the list of folks on shore, waiting for a table to be scrubbed clean. Everyone is well spaced, making the beach look like a rookery for masked boobies.
It (and all past puzzles for the calendar year) are always available here...

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html

And on 1/1/21...you can go here to find the 2021 calendar (look under 'Saturdays')

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/nyt-links.html
Grover

Post by Grover »

Joining the party on shore. What a crowd!
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

Hello everyone! Haven't been around much lately (not that I was around much before), but I am currently quarantining due to Covid-19. It made for a strange Thanksgiving. My boys are in college, so they had Thanksgiving with their friends' families. My husband, daughter, and I had a quiet Thanksgiving at home. We all had mild symptoms and are fine, but we are looking forward to being somewhat back to normal in a few days. I am on a two-week streak of solving the meta after a seemingly never-ending streak of not solving the meta, and Isaac has graciously hooked me up with my own private island where I can relax with a Bourbon Smash. Despite our circumstances, life is pretty good, and I'm thankful for that, as well as for this lovely community of muggles.
M and M

Post by M and M »

We are happily done and enjoying the peaceful feeling that descends when the meta can be solved without bounding across the countryside after rabbits.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LLinNC wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:02 pm Hello everyone! Haven't been around much lately (not that I was around much before), but I am currently quarantining due to Covid-19. It made for a strange Thanksgiving. My boys are in college, so they had Thanksgiving with their friends' families. My husband, daughter, and I had a quiet Thanksgiving at home. We all had mild symptoms and are fine, but we are looking forward to being somewhat back to normal in a few days. I am on a two-week streak of solving the meta after a seemingly never-ending streak of not solving the meta, and Isaac has graciously hooked me up with my own private island where I can relax with a Bourbon Smash. Despite our circumstances, life is pretty good, and I'm thankful for that, as well as for this lovely community of muggles.
Glad you are here and solving, glad your symptoms are mild. A private island can't be bad if you have to quarantine and puzzles to keep you busy, why it ALMOST makes it fun. I have been relaxed while smashed on bourbon myself in the past - I assume that is what you mean :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Martin

Post by Martin »

tim1217 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:25 pm
Martin wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:02 am It would be nice if we could find a permanent place to post the link to the latest contest puzzle in Across Lite format:
http://tinyurl.com/mugglespuz

Every Thursday, at about 4:07 PM ET, it switches to the new contest puzzle.

In any case, it might be a good URL to bookmark.

As long as I'm here plugging the link, I'll add my name to the list of folks on shore, waiting for a table to be scrubbed clean. Everyone is well spaced, making the beach look like a rookery for masked boobies.
It (and all past puzzles for the calendar year) are always available here...

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html

And on 1/1/21...you can go here to find the 2021 calendar (look under 'Saturdays')

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/nyt-links.html
BTW, all the links point to the same Across Lite file that goes on line at 4:07, so any one should work. Will Johnston (the keeper of the fleetingimage Puzzle Pages) sometimes takes a bit of time to get new calendar pages up at New Years, so don't worry if they're not there immediately. It's actually another puzzle notable, Bob Klahn, who generates the calendar pages and emails them to Will for inclusion on his site. My server does the conversion to Across Lite. Lots of volunteers behind the scenes in Crossworld.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore! Happy Thanksgiving to all!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

LLinNC wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:02 pm Hello everyone! Haven't been around much lately (not that I was around much before), but I am currently quarantining due to Covid-19. It made for a strange Thanksgiving. My boys are in college, so they had Thanksgiving with their friends' families. My husband, daughter, and I had a quiet Thanksgiving at home. We all had mild symptoms and are fine, but we are looking forward to being somewhat back to normal in a few days. I am on a two-week streak of solving the meta after a seemingly never-ending streak of not solving the meta, and Isaac has graciously hooked me up with my own private island where I can relax with a Bourbon Smash. Despite our circumstances, life is pretty good, and I'm thankful for that, as well as for this lovely community of muggles.
Hope you all recover quickly! Meta solving is good for the immune system!
Heidi
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Saw this one pretty much immediately this time. Feeling smart after getting it a few weeks in a row, but I'm sure I'll be living back at sea soon... Happy holidays those of you celebrating them.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

On the shore. I'll agree with WDunbar's comments above. And I actually got the meta before my husband (who is brilliant) so I'm feeling good. :)
Colin

Post by Colin »

Made it to the beach,
My wife solved first - what a peach!
Two mugs please - one each! :)
One world. One planet. One future.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

done.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I’m ashore! Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!
VincentM

Post by VincentM »

Ashore! Two weeks in a row -- starting to make up for my dreadful streak at sea.
no .sig, no avatar, just puzzlin' fun
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore!
RobM

Post by RobM »

Finally on shore after a dry spell for the last several weeks.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Get well soon. I hear bourbon is medicinal, or at least from W.C. Fields.
Rufus T. Firefly