"Couples Only" June 2, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm pretty sure I'm ashore, but might be 40A

going to let this "gel" for a bit before I submit it to the WSJ.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Just did this this AM, stumbled at first but then the light came on. I'm going to claim an ashore!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
NaplesGuy

Post by NaplesGuy »

After last week, very happy to be ashore, if not dry. Martini, Dry.
8-)
All ashore that's going ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

First a PSA - Isaac is sending ice, soda, all kinds of beer and everything else that the shore needs as there is nothing going on in the ship's bars. He also has sent several of his bartenders to supplement the shore crew. And NO, they will not be dressed in the same manner as @Meg 's cabana boy.

So far we have 173 on the shore with more coming every minute.

And you get extra credit this week if you could spell psammophile, more if you know what it means. A 14 year old could and won the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Fortunately our creators probably can't get this word into a meta.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:56 am Good morning muggles

First a PSA - Isaac is sending ice, soda, all kinds of beer and everything else that the shore needs as there is nothing going on in the ship's bars. He also has sent several of his bartenders to supplement the shore crew. And NO, they will not be dressed in the same manner as @Meg 's cabana boy.

And you get extra credit this week if you could spell psammophile, more if you know what it means. A 14 year old could to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Fortunately our creators probably can't get this word into a meta.
Well I am not sure I can spell it if asked, but I know when it comes to the WSJCC I (and apparently hundreds of my friends) all fit the definition! Psamm I am!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Ashore
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

And you get extra credit this week if you could spell psammophile, more if you know what it means. A 14 year old could to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Fortunately our creators probably can't get this word into a meta.
What is the record high number of solvers?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cindy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:04 pm

What is the record high number of solvers?
290 on July 1, 2022 Cover Band with the answer Aaron Neville
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

I've been travelling and working so much this year that I've barely been able to look at a puzzle before Sunday nights - I do them anyway just the following week sometime. Was happy to have some time this today to take a glance and more thrilled to be able to solve quickly! Count me on shore. Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to summer and hope to "see" you more frequently next few months!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

A little slow on the uptake his week but happy to be in the very large majority. Onshore!

Have a terrific weekend, Muggles.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

On shore! A little struggle to get there but I knew the mechanism; just had to put it together correctly.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

On shore. Very nice!
Louwers

Post by Louwers »

Ashore, but not positive I’m on the right island.
Louwers

Post by Louwers »

Oops, just crossed over to the right island!
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Ashore!!! Now I don't know what to do with myself this weekend.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On the beach quickly today after missing out last week because we were visiting our new granddaughter born May 1! Perfect blessing for our 60th birthdays this week. Happy Friday to all!
Janet

Post by Janet »

I finished the grid yesterday. I assembled the clues and was missing one letter. A few minutes ago, I found the missing letter.
Hoping I'm not falling for a pageant again!

Count me ashore!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore, made it the final step solo but I had one component wrong and needed meta mentor to set me straight. Clever, as always
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Ashore - for the 1st time ever, I saw this right away!
Attachments
couple.PNG
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

I think I'm on shore but still have that nagging doubt. In the past, I've always had the correct answer (when in doubt...) and 3 of 4 letters seem pretty solid so I'm going with what I have. Have a great weekend everyone and best of luck to all.