"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Believe I am ashore, but briefly worried I was PAGEANTing myself. Fun meta - I have always enjoyed these types of puzzles!

In case anyone wonders — I didn’t bring the puzzle to the game. I don’t have that type of concentration any more. These minor league games constantly have something going on — side games for the kids (and sometimes adults), a train, ladies in front of us talking constantly — I barely knew what was happening on the field! I’m just glad I solved it this morning before my husband got up rearing to start Saturday. Although I can see rain clouds gathering, so I may have time for MGWCC later today. 🤗
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

I'd appreciate a nudge. I'm lost on this one.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Ashore with a nudge. So frustrating to have the pieces in front of you and not see the forest for the trees. And yes, will need to keep some music on in the background all day as white noise . . .
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:56 am Ashore with a nudge. So frustrating to have the pieces in front of you and not see the forest for the trees. And yes, will need to keep some music on in the background all day as white noise . . .
Yeah, I’ve got that song from my youth playing in the background also.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Exactly what ^ he said.

This actually was one of my least favorite in a long time… just didn’t feel like an “ohhh! There it is!” I mean, it works, but…

Thanks to Sreh26 for the help. I will not be submitting, since had to be towed. And that after having solved last week’s harder one fairly easily, solo! (And then forgetting to submit it.. ugh.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore and in agreement with many of you on many things. 🎶
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

LAS but not giving up.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SusieG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:24 am Believe I am ashore, but briefly worried I was PAGEANTing myself. Fun meta - I have always enjoyed these types of puzzles!

In case anyone wonders — I didn’t bring the puzzle to the game. I don’t have that type of concentration any more. These minor league games constantly have something going on — side games for the kids (and sometimes adults), a train, ladies in front of us talking constantly — I barely knew what was happening on the field! I’m just glad I solved it this morning before my husband got up rearing to start Saturday. Although I can see rain clouds gathering, so I may have time for MGWCC later today. 🤗
Major league baseball made a major league mistake when they limited each team to only four minor league teams. Minor league teams are not only feeders for players but also fans. We took the kids and the grandkids to the Lowell Spinners many times and they loved the Canagators and dogs catching frisbees - not to mention affordable food. (background - the city of Lowell on the Merrimack River had a lot of mills and a lot of canals, hence Mr. and Mrs Canagator and then a baby canagator)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On the ship. Have tried many paths to make the swim but still not fitting anything together. Hopefully a nice morning coffee will jump start a new idea.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:50 am
SusieG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:24 am Believe I am ashore, but briefly worried I was PAGEANTing myself. Fun meta - I have always enjoyed these types of puzzles!

Major league baseball made a major league mistake when they limited each team to only four minor league teams. Minor league teams are not only feeders for players but also fans. We took the kids and the grandkids to the Lowell Spinners many times and they loved the Canagators and dogs catching frisbees - not to mention affordable food. (background - the city of Lowell on the Merrimack River had a lot of mills and a lot of canals, hence Mr. and Mrs Canagator and then a baby canagator)
I go to as many of our local minor league team's home games as I can, and always bring my scorer book. One time I was there with one of my exes and was keeping score... I had to go get a beer, so I taught her some of the basics -- HBP, 5-3, K-2, etc. -- and left. A couple minutes later I came back with my beer and checked the book when she handed it over. "Cool," I said, "You're at the right batter and the outs match the scoreboard... but wait... when I left, the runner was at first, and now he's at second. How'd he get there?" Looking at the book, I see she'd written "HJW." "HJW?" I ask. "What's that?" She says "He just went." A couple more notes. Our team -- the Utica Blue Sox -- was once co-owned by Bill Murray, who sang the National Anthem at a game once, and this summer, the Hall of Fame will be welcoming Larry Walker, who played his first pro baseball game for the Utica Blue Sox in 1985.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Holy cow that was clever. Ashore.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

On shore, thanks to a gentle push from Boharr.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved. But oh, that song. Why?
KatieCollier

Post by KatieCollier »

I’m still on the ship but see what I’m supposed to be working with, I just don’t know what to do with them (or how 8 letters result). But I’m more curious about this song hint that people say brings them back to their “teenage” or “younger” years - can we get a little more context as to what decade we’re talking about? ;)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:50 am

I go to as many of our local minor league team's home games as I can, and always bring my scorer book. One time I was there with one of my exes and was keeping score... I had to go get a beer, so I taught her some of the basics -- HBP, 5-3, K-2, etc. -- and left. A couple minutes later I came back with my beer and checked the book when she handed it over. "Cool," I said, "You're at the right batter and the outs match the scoreboard... but wait... when I left, the runner was at first, and now he's at second. How'd he get there?" Looking at the book, I see she'd written "HJW." "HJW?" I ask. "What's that?" She says "He just went." A couple more notes. Our team -- the Utica Blue Sox -- was once co-owned by Bill Murray, who sang the National Anthem at a game once, and this summer, the Hall of Fame will be welcoming Larry Walker, who played his first pro baseball game for the Utica Blue Sox in 1985.
My wife loved that about your ex. She can relate. For 50 years she has asked why the second baseman does not stand on second base.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:12 am … just didn’t feel like an “ohhh! There it is!” I mean, it works, but…
PeterLeea1a wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:22 pm Holy cow that was clever. Ashore.
Is it OK if I feel both of these at the same time? :?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good afternoon muggles

First a great welcome to our newest muggles - sfrechet, Littlegreycells, LisaLafleur, and P1h3r1e3d13. Always great to have more muggles

We have 14 on the ship with Isaac and 121 on the shore getting cold drinks from the Tiki bar.

On the ship either in the bar or on the Lido deck are
Joepickett
ladybird
joe
Tmart
sharkicicles
TeaJenny
Gman
minimuggle
rosiegirl
kfahey
P1h3r1e3d13
copperriver
EVJ
KatieCollier

And on the shore are

Kay
Tom Wi
Mike H
Cindy
geetee
Meg
Josh
Amanda Hugginkiss
sanmilton
stmv
802puzzler
MikeM000
Dannyvee
subtly
D B Miller
hoover
Al
paige
C=64
higgysue
docison
Scott M
Chris
Larrry
Laura
joequavis
sf592000
spotter
Schmeel
Wendy
darth
BrennerTJ
Jim and Anita
RobM
RDaleHall
mattythewsjpuzzler
mkmf
Georgeall
oldjudge
Les
TeamDoubleTow
David K
MamaE
Lacangah
dplass
M and M
Guffman
Ergcat
mitchel674
woozy
Tom S
whimsy
boharr
RPardoe
Tina
jhseeman
Eric P
chad8484
Dave C
Peter
SamanthaA
Ed S
Zagman49
seahawks seashanty
Zach
Jace54
streroto
Cindy N
tigerfly222
CPJohnson
Omnibus
dpl11
Miki
Dow Jones
meekmouse
crswenson
jrdad
Brian M
madhatter5
Heidi
John B
MajorDomoTom
Daniel G
SilviaV
DannyCincinatti
Commodore
Beth T
meowmiao71
Barbara K
Jean
Cap'n Rick
Bill
ADS
iggystan
JeanneC
Andrew B
MatthewL
Hidden in 3D
Jackie88
michaelm
Kimberly
Jack
Softie
pookie
William
Lisa Lafleur
Littlegreycells
sfrechet
SReh26
femullen
lbary
escapeartist
BreeZynCO
Debbie
Ann
Peter L
HeadinHome
cbarbee
KscX
sphorning
SusieG

I love the baseball talk and my wife says that @wendy walker is corrupting our newest muggles
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ajk

Post by ajk »

Not seeing it, beyond the obvious surface stuff. Renewing my acquaintance with Isaac.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:24 pm On shore. Fun one from Mr Berry.
Page one finish and not included in the "on shore" count. Maybe I need to use bigger font for my posts ;)
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:58 am
Joepickett wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:53 pm Hmm. I'm not seeing this. I've assembled some pieces but I just have nonsense. Obviously I'm missing something.
I got some help to take the pieces and put them together so that I could find the answer. Ashore.
Here I am, Bob! I did make it to shore but you missed me. Probably because I was drenched and covered in sand and seaweed being towed to shore the other day.