"Flight of Fancy" March 15, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

No idea so far.
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

Ashore with the aid of the Z factor. Nonetheless, not 100% confident, and if my answer is correct there is a second that would seem equally correct. Time will tell.
Regards to all,
Jim

Edit: I stand corrected. There can be no second answer when the entirety of the metanism is appreciated.
Last edited by b4alltime on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:55 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:37 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:21 am

Yes.
Have to agree. Very famous. But then, I may have a slight advantage with this particular one, not saying what that advantage is yet, leading me to be somewhat familiar with this artist's work.
I didn't mean to be terse.

A couple of examples:
  • There are many titles of different works by William Shakespeare that I'd have to interweb to find that he's the "famous author." That Billy Shakes is famous is of little doubt.
  • There are many singers who have many Platinum songs whom I wouldn't recognize after interwebbing one of their song titles. Going Platinum makes a singer very famous, even if I don't recognize their name nor any of their songs.
This can work for any muggle across a long list of categories, including art, writing, music, geography, physics, crocheting, comedy, closest organizing, sports (for God's sake), military, biology, psychology, and every variation/classification within all possible categories.
Heard of the works but not the artist seems possible. Like Botticelli. "Who?" You know The Birth of Venus. "What?" The woman on the clam shell? "Oh yeah! That's a real famous artist!"
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

I'm floundering at sea with the fishies without a clue. On another subject, the answer today's Jumble gave me, shall we say , a "quizzical" laugh in light of this puzzle (not a clue or a spoiler).
arecibo

Post by arecibo »

Ashore. The most frustrating puzzle I can remember, in terms of (my own calculation of) the ratio of discouraged posters to the puzzle's "je ne sais quoi" (I wouldn't use either "simpleness" or "elegance"). Also a super-rare case where having a completely correct grid (and I mean completely correct) is very very helpful.

As for signposts, I count no shortage (if I were to rank them by prominence, I was cued in by signposts 4 and then 1).
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

Still at sea but still hoping
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Needed an initial hint to set me on the correct path (thanks @boharr) Am now enjoying a well-earned beach cocktail. Seems like a pretty unique meta to me. Pretty brilliant!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

Ashore finally! (with a few nudges from Don & Cynthia)
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Y’aaaallllll… My sister noticed something that seemed like it *had* to be the key, and we have slogged through many steps to get inches away from what looks like a very good answer. But no. We have not been able to get this thing over the goal line. Either it is the cruelest rabbit hole ever, or the muggles who are describing this as the most amazing, original, and elegant metanism are mistaken. Alas, experience tells me it is the former, but I have already moved into this rabbit hole. My mail being forwarded underground.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Ashore thanks to major league hints from the zoom call. Great puzzle!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:56 pm My critique is that there were no clear triggers. There were a few subtle triggers but they were easy to miss. What tripped me to the right step was completely coincidental and unintentional.
Personally, I thought the hints were perfect--a little subtle, but not too subtle. Frankly, i almost never have success backsolving a metanism. But in this case, the hints allowed me to kinda, sorta, do essentially that. Those who don't have the necessary specific knowledge, might miss this entirely. So perhaps your level of familiarity with the answer affects how helpful you find the hints.

As Steve Martin taught me in the '70's, if you don't know your target audience, your jokes might fall flat (or not, depending on how you play it):

Char

Post by Char »

Solved with confirmation of a hunch by a muggle who also gave a slight nudge.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Completely lost at sea.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:54 pm I'm floundering at sea with the fishies without a clue. On another subject, the answer today's Jumble gave me, shall we say , a "quizzical" laugh in light of this puzzle (not a clue or a spoiler).
Saw that too! 😂
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

b4alltime wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm Ashore with the aid of the Z factor. Nonetheless, not 100% confident, and if my answer is correct there is a second that would seem equally correct. Time will tell.
Regards to all,
Jim
It’s a 100%. If you solved correctly there is no doubt or second answer.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ergcat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:21 pm
b4alltime wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm Ashore with the aid of the Z factor. Nonetheless, not 100% confident, and if my answer is correct there is a second that would seem equally correct. Time will tell.
Regards to all,
Jim
It’s a 100%. If you solved correctly there is no doubt or second answer.
Yeah. You might guess the correct answer. But if you found a metanism that you think gives you an answer, but you aren't entirely sure if it's right, then it's not the correct metanism.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Staying on the boat this week. Its amazing how every square in the grid is filled in and yet, yet, yet there is nothing there at all. Will gaze at it hopelessly some more later.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:54 pm I'm floundering at sea with the fishies without a clue. On another subject, the answer today's Jumble gave me, shall we say , a "quizzical" laugh in light of this puzzle (not a clue or a spoiler).
Agree
hoover

Post by hoover »

I'm ashore after another Muggle pointed out that I might already have what I need in my notes.
But I don't like the taste of this drink.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Finally saw it. Someone did say that early on...
Don't give up and keep staring.

Miki