"The Joyce Is Yours" March 8, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Early morning solve and arrival on shore.

Couldn't sleep having spent the drop-time & its soon thereafter purchasing annual USGA GHIN subscription & getting all those pretty coupons & priority tee time registration privileges in return. Clubs needed to be shined, shoes brushed, balls marked, gloves, towels, cart, divot tools, rain gear, & umbrella checked, bag squared, & tees slotted.
⛳

For what it's worth, I prefer the WSJCC beach to those on courses.

Flask? What flask?
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Ashore. ⛱️
Cindy Heisler
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore. Solving buddy Bob and I floated ashore on the same wavelength last night.
Fun one, Matt.

You may have your Joyce too, but here’s my best friend, Joyce
IMG_1668.jpeg
femullen

Post by femullen »

Spent the morning digging rabbit holes from swerve of shore to bend of bay, which geography suggests I'm ashore, which I'm not.

Looks like quite a party on the beach, so I'm wondering if I'm making difficult what to most is Echo Zulu.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Ashore! Literally a late start (11pm!). This is exactly the kind of puzzle that was once in my blind spot. Now at least I come to look for it more quickly....
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Wow! Crowded here on the beach. No surprise. A fun puzzle.

Have a great weekend, Muggles!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally got it - ashore, solved and submitted
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ron

Post by ron »

Woo hoo, ashore, 2 in a row. Got this one in one sitting right after doing the grid. Usually I need to come back to them after a bit.
Gwert

Post by Gwert »

Ashore. Really enjoyed this one. Wondered for a brief minute how many famous Joyces there might be.
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Thanks for the coffee Isaac. Gotta surf to the beach. My double Jack & Vernor's is awaiting. Clever meta Matt!
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Ashore. And vaguely ashamed at how much I had to resort to Google on this. Google google google -- and that was just for filling in the grid.

In a slightly different vein, I am amused but no longer surprised at how often, when I do have to use Google, it seems that I am not alone. I ask a quirky and strangely specific question involving a word or two, and the top suggestions returned to me as I enter this query are surprisingly quirky and strangely specific variations on exactly this query. Happened twice today on variations of the same query during the meta portion of my work. Rarely use Google on the meta, but today Google needed for one thing in the meta. DId not find an answer, though, although I knew what it had ultimately to yield. Chuckling at these queries in Google, I took my tablet and went to my wife and showed her this evidence of other people doing the meta, and told her the query I was asking. She spat out the answer in milliseconds; Google never did it as cleanly. So, Mr MikeMillerwsj, you could make my wife happy too if you happened to draw . . . .
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore!
Konnie
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

R E M I N D E R - - - -

Please join us for our Friday Muggle Zoom virtual get together at 4:30 Eastern time today. All are welcome as we explore the potential rabbit holes of this week's meta and search for solid ground free from pitfalls.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join us.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝 on shore🏝 late start last night but the mechanism came to me while sleeping! G&T later this evening!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Ashore!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Clpdlt22 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:20 pm Drove through Gaffney South Carolina yesterday. Solved Matt tonight
Not too far from where I live! Home of the Peach Capital of the South! Heres a pic of the “peach-oid ” water tower!
171EB7AF-FA0E-43CF-BBD1-25FB65C62752.jpeg
Last edited by Ergcat on Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Ashore - this was right up my alley. There were SO many better photos I wanted to submit, but they would have been spoilers indeed.
Screenshot 2024-03-08 091153.png
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

On shore!
I had trouble with the grid, then even though I knew what to do, and quickly knew what the answer would be, I struggled to get all the pieces.
I fruitlessly tried backsolving some things. My mistake was to assume things about the mechanism. I should know better than that. Anything goes in a meta! :D
boharr

Post by boharr »

Guinness please
This feature is going to come in handy.