" WE’LL BE BACK SHORTLY" January 26, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. Grid was tougher than the meta!

Grey Goose Martini please!
agentcooper

Post by agentcooper »

Thanks to the folks on Zoom for their head shakes at my 🐰 🕳️ musings, and the nods encouraging me to go back to ideas I'd glossed over earlier.

I sorted it out immediately after leaving the call. 🤙

So fun!
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

Made it shore! Cerveza, por favor.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

I decided to play ski-hooky today and missed the Zoom call, but as I was composing a DM to plead for a nudge, the mechanism cracked itself wide open! Sometimes it really helps to just talk through the thought process. :)

Count me ashore.. and very much ready for a frothy stout.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On the beach!
(1 for 4 in 2024 :( )
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

D'oh! Mountains from molehills etc. On shore.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore. The WSJ online app has been acting up a lot!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Neither ashore nor hanging with Isaac.I'm in the ship infirmary dealing with a nasty bout of the stomach flu. Rather than alcoholic beverage my nurse, Issa, insists that I drink lots of water and some hibiscus tea.I don't anticipate finishing this puzzle unless I have an amazing recovery. I did finish the grid which fatigued me so I took a 2 plus hour nap.

See you muggles tomorrow.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. That was clever. Seemed hopeless for a few minutes, but there was sort of an AHA moment.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore after floundering and despairing on and off all day as I took care of household chores. And then the light came on! I can repeat the common mantras: I was making it way too hard, and this construction was amazing!
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Had to think about my answer, but positive I have it now. Turning an unflattering single malt into an Old Fashioned now.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Relic wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:20 pm Neither ashore nor hanging with Isaac.I'm in the ship infirmary dealing with a nasty bout of the stomach flu. Rather than alcoholic beverage my nurse,Issa, insists that I drink lots of water and some hibiscus tea.I don't anticipate finishing this puzzle unless I have an amazing recovery. I did finish the grid which fatigued me so I took a 2 plus hour nap.

See you muggles tomorrow.
Feel better!
Heidi
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

woozy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:07 pm
SewYoung wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:47 am
woozy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:18 am

Well, just concatenating the given clues for the entries (with a little allowance for grammar/syntax tweaking) is an acceptable clue.

But we're a creative bunch. We can do better.
I love this bunch of folks. I have learned, yet another new word. When I saw "concatenating" I thought surely it was a typo, but looked it up and Lo and Behold, it was a real word that I had never heard of.
Whoa.... just as Charles Schulz once assumed everyone knew what a ZAMBONI was (Snoopy as the WWI flying ace accidentally shot one and all the readers in the SF Bay area went "?????"), I assumed everyone knew what concatenate meant.

CON=with or together
CATENA= chain

concatenate= to chain together.
This is interesting. It's a very common word for me, but only because in programming we concatenate things all the time. Only the most primitive of languages do not have a concatenation operator or function. In fact, much of programming can be described as taking things apart and putting them back together again. Which is exactly what the AI of a Large Language Model does. It takes apart a tremendous amount of data and puts it aside such that it can put it back together in new ways in response to a query.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Ashore!
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Life has been so out of control for the last couple of months that I haven’t got to the crossword and seen it thru since November. So very encouraging to get onshore in 2 minutes (extremely unusual for me and sure to be back to normal programming, e.g. pinging Wendy on Sunday with very little done, next week). Happy Saturday all + gratuitous shot of Fuji from the kitchen window to brighten your weekend.
IMG_0456.jpeg
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Ashore. vety tough solve but meta [almost!] easy.
Oxford Comma Mama

Post by Oxford Comma Mama »

I somehow fell off the crossword bandwagon for a number of months - may have had something to do with my baby turning into a VERY busy toddler. :lol: Earlier this week I decided to do a few puzzles and was able to solve last week's meta pretty quickly! Woot!

However this one is another story. Nothing I think of yields anything at all and I am very much stuck on the boat. If anyone wants to send me a nudge, I would appreciate it!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Zoom...zoom...zoom...ashore!
Char

Post by Char »

Solved
batfella

Post by batfella »

Ashore. Sleeping on it helped. Also a shout out to the Zoom crew.