"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
woozy

Post by woozy »

SJMcK wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:37 pm Got there with a nudge from woozy
As for the MGWCC.... totally lost at sea despite three nudges SJMcK.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I'm (or I should say we're) on the beach. I staRED at the grid and wondered if I was FACing the end of my 1-meta streak. And then I was lED down the MOther of all rabbit holes--and an amUSing one at that. And then I started liking the result. But it seemed rather feEBle and didn’t have that click. Then my husband made note of something and my answer didn't seem so weIRD after all.

I'll have some vino verde tomorrow when we have friends over for our Epiphany celebration, a decades-long tradition. We pick a different country every year and incorporate some of their foods and Christmas traditions. We are doing Portugal this year, since we were there in October.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Thanks fellow Zoomers. Sometimes taking things too literally can trip you up - as does that slight deviation in what you've been doing. You just need the tap on the shoulder from a friend as they ask "are you sure you want to go that way?" I celebrated with an icy cold bing cherry and plum (vitamin infused even) sparkling water.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Voila.............Marion, Jill, and I are on the shore. Good feeling on a freezing day in Kansas City!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Staying warm in Isaac's bar. Another cabernet please. Hopeful to find the shore on Saturday.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On the beach!
A lot to unpack…
ignatiusJ

Post by ignatiusJ »

Ashore, mateys. I'll take a room temperature V8 Splash.
Joe

Post by Joe »

On shore with a little nudge.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Kevin L

Post by Kevin L »

Took a little help but finally made it to shore
dho

Post by dho »

Forgot to post yesterday, we are on shore thanks to the Audio Daily Double at the zoom room.

Don and Lisa
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Lost at sea. And in Death Valley without much signal. Not giving up yet though.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Trey wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:57 pm Voila.............Marion, Jill, and I are on the shore. Good feeling on a freezing day in Kansas City!
@Trey I hope that you are not going to the game tonight
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

Submitted an answer I know is bonkers-ass wrong... see you Monday, Wabbit.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

newbymar wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:58 pm Muggle friends..
In the past, I would solve the puzzles each day, and on Fridays I would look at the contest clue and just wait for the next puzzle. I had no clue about how to solve to get the answer. I had no idea about metas, muggles, rabbit holes, etc.
While on a month long land/sea trip with brothers John and Bill (2 of my 5 brothers) in August, John had Bill and I try to solve the Friday puzzle with him. John tried to explain all about the metas, the clues, and tricks to solve. We did 4 puzzles while on that trip. When we got home, we have continued solving together, even though I live in NY, Bill in MD and John in GA. We have FaceTimed each Thursday or Friday to try to solve the puzzle since September. Last night, I got in bed and was called to action with a FaceTime visit from the brothers. We worked for almost an hour and we were ashore!!! I just confirmed with the Zoom meeting that we were correct. It has been great fun and I thank the Don and Wendy of the zoom meetings for their great support. They make this a lot of fun, not work! I look forward to each week's challenge. Now I just have to wait to win the mug! Mary (newbymar)
@newbymar Welcome and we are glad that you and your brothers are solving (now get the other 3 brothers on board). The zoom link is open all the time for cosolving so if you want to get together with your brothers to work on it, pick a time and all three of you can jump on.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles

A reminder that the WSJ will not be published on Monday for MLK Day. Thus the official solution will not be published but the answer will be published here and commented on after midnight on Sunday. And @The XWord Rabbit welcomes your deep rabbit holes Monday

A very tough one from Matt as indicated by the 87 on the zoom call last night and the statistics. We have 17 on the ship and 108 on the shore. For those who are interested Isaac will have the NFL playoff games on the big screen TV's and he has arranged to have betting for or against your favorite teams.

On the ship we have

SewYoung
Flamel616
Flying_Burrito
Justmarebear
sweetc
Acarl
straffin
RobM
Barnhart6
Janet
Tom S
Sleepy
HunterX
relic (and Maggie)
Yoda66
DaveG
Zobo3737

And on the shore we have

docison
Beth A
Joe R
ajk
benchen71
MikeyG
Meg
Cindy
darth
Al
oldjudge
Mme
MileHighSolver
clonefitz
Lee-Ann
Tom Wi
Georgeall
Larrry
paige
Mike H
DavyGravy
Heidi
minimuggle
Kay
Jeremy
CptnCodon
NebFaninCA
boharr
Don and Cynthia
Peter
elvanya
MajorDomoTom
Chris
Dave C
Mister and Mrs. Squawk
DCBilly
Brainbow
Wendy
ky-mike
SamKat9
Miki
BrennerTJ
Berto
mattythewsjpuzzler
chriscross
woozy
streroto
Les
Bird Lives
MarkWoychick
pchow13
dudeski
donutrobot
Beleagured Castle
jrdad
Jim and Anita
Laura
markhr
Jace54
JoDave
Jean
mbryant
Trish
cheekumbaldy
Zach
rjy
DelanQ
lbray
Wescovington
SarasotaSun
harhanlake
meowmiao71
SJMck
newbymar
joe
HeadinHome
Gman
turbotron
Joepickett
batfella
Cruise Director
lxpeterson
Al Laubenstein
JaneGummy
ignatiusJ
Cindy N
BigPear
MaineMarge
Lyman
will j
Bob B
michaelm
jimbo1
Barbara K
ladybird
MatthewL
Trey and Marion and Jill
Homer
Kevin L
LarsCaine
Harbo
Ron
William
halseymac
Bmacdo
Ergcat
Don and Lisa
Damaged

Have a good week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Lost at sea, watching football, with a Grumpy Old Lobster Boat Captain. With time on his hands.
Belichick.png
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Ashore! With a little help from Woozy. Thank you!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! (We think)... it doesn't have the elegance of other Gaffney puzzles, but it does appear to fit all the requirements.

In any event, need to look around to convince ourselves we're on the right beach (or if these are restless natives around us!)

Rita and George
steveb

Post by steveb »

grwinski wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:24 pm Ashore! (We think)... it doesn't have the elegance of other Gaffney puzzles, but it does appear to fit all the requirements.

In any event, need to look around to convince ourselves we're on the right beach (or if these are restless natives around us!)

Rita and George
I beg to differ. I think this puzzle is quite elegant. I wonder if you're ... missing something?
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

steveb wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:21 pm
grwinski wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:24 pm Ashore! (We think)... it doesn't have the elegance of other Gaffney puzzles, but it does appear to fit all the requirements.

Rita and George
I beg to differ. I think this puzzle is quite elegant. I wonder if you're ... missing something?
I'm not thrilled with a couple of pieces... although perhaps my English isn't up to par ---- awaiting Monday