" Surround Sound " July 21, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, god. That was painful! But... fair. And doable.

I got nudges that ... must have helped ... cause I got it in the end but this is my week for looking at general ideas in just the wrong way.

Good puzzle though. Maybe next week/month I'll be back on my mojo. This not quite on it streak has gone on long enough.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Relic

Post by Relic »

After two days of blank staring at the grid, I finally have a rabbit to chase, at least. Problem is I'm getting nowhere fast with it. So still in the bar with Isaac and a few other friendly faces.

I am running out of time. Tomorrow is my mother-in-law's 85th birthday. Having a big family gathering to celebrate it. That will be an all dayer, so I better make progress tonight.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We surrounded by waters of Hopeless Sound... Sounds like waves and cursing.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Just got to it this evening. On the ship with Isaac. All rabbit holes have been too shallow to dig further. (Well, I think they are…)

Interesting to read the posts here of the “struggles of muggles.” Will struggle myself some more tomorrow.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I had the pleasure of meeting our own Pete Muller this evening!! His band, the Kindred Souls, played near us, so of course we had to go. Near the start of his set he mentioned that he does a lot of things in life, including creating crossword puzzles, and asked if there were any crossword fans in the audience. WELL! Mark and I cheered wildly and I stood up and held up my MMMM mug (which I had of course brought along). After the show we had a great chat. He is delightful!
He refused to give me a hint on the mega-meta, however.
Attachments
DSC_9414.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

At sea again this week.

Make it a double, Isaac!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Dickie_Dunn

Post by Dickie_Dunn »

I'm joined with the crowd asea... Yikes. Isaac pour me something tall and strong.
Dickie Dunn wrote this, it's gotta be true.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:54 pm I had the pleasure of meeting our own Pete Muller this evening!! His band, the Kindred Souls, played near us, so of course we had to go. Near the start of his set he mentioned that he does a lot of things in life, including creating crossword puzzles, and asked if there were any crossword fans in the audience. WELL! Mark and I cheered wildly and I stood up and held up my MMMM mug (which I had of course brought along). After the show we had a great chat. He is delightful!
He refused to give me a hint on the mega-meta, however.
Jealous!

Heidi
Heidi
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I've been to Phish 2 nights in a row at Star Lake, so I'm just a tad short of focus for the puzzle. I declare myself at sea with the other swimming creatures. I shall try for a mug again next Thursday.
Last edited by LittleGood on Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On the beach after a helpful focusing nudge and a solve partner made the initial breakthrough. Not sure I can chalk this one up as a personal solve, though. :(
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
dot

Post by dot »

It's Sunday (on our side of the Mississippi, anyway) and we're still firmly on the boat. Tick tock, tick tock...
H & J
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

I’ve been at sea all weekend, not checking here until this morning to see how folks are faring. Not great apparently, so I’m surrounded by good company during the final stretch.
sjm

Post by sjm »

Nudged ashore!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Been a while since I have spent this much time at sea. Feeling a bit seasick. We will see what the last few hours bring for inspiration.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I usually don’t declare at sea, but that is where I am this week.
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

100% Ashore after taking the scenic route.
I thought Mr. Shenk was going to foil my dance, but going back to the basics of puzzle solving had me leaping off the sofa onto the beach.
music.PNG
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

The XWord Rabbit has received more than the usual amount of interest in telling "lost in a hole" stories regarding this week's puzzle. He encourages everyone to post their tales by Tuesday morning at the latest. He expects to be busy -- and good luck to all!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Adajeo wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:49 am going back to the basics of puzzle solving had me leaping off the sofa onto the beach
Always a good strategy. Congratulations!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Nudged ashore. And saying to myself, why didn’t I think of that?????? Great one Mr Shenk! G&T today
VanVeen

Post by VanVeen »

Finally.

I worked over this for way too long, stuck on a mechanism I kept trying to make work which was never going to work.

My Hail Mary answer, which I'd had since day one, was all set to go, but I decided to give it one last look.

And there it was. A-ha! I figured it out. It actually was my Hail Mary answer.

Maybe I should have just sent that in on Thursday instead of being tortured by this puzzle all weekend.