"Position Statement" August 19, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

still no clue on this one. must state my position as "lost". thinking thinking ....
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

On shore, waiting for noon to pop open a beer. Thanks Zoom Muggles & Don (ship4U).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh for heaven's sake.....I hit all around what I was supposed to do but could not make it to shore. I needed someone to tell me that I was WAY overthinking and why. I am embarrassed to say that I finally got it with that help so of course will not submit. However, I will have to read the rabbit hole stories because I have one that may be in contention.

I will wait to demonstrate my ignorance....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Local apparent noon...mark!

Position report: lost at sea.

Color me aboard, Cruise Director Bob.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:06 pm
Laura M wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:14 pm Maybe a little slow, but I made it to shore this week!
Slow is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Thursday night at 9:14 would be early for me!
I shouldn't have said slow! It just felt like it took ages, while I was wondering if I would see anything at all or if it would be another week on the ship for me! I'm just glad to be on the beach :-)
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Made it to shore, albeit bedraggled. These last 4 weeks of contest puzzles have required mental METAmucil! A challenging stretch.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
mommyX4

Post by mommyX4 »

Annabelle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:33 pm still no clue on this one. must state my position as "lost". thinking thinking ....
lost at sea too! not sure if I am over thinking or just not looking where I’m supposed to :?:
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Still in the soup. I can see that I must abandon this hole that I have become so comfortable with but cannot take any further. I'll pick it back up during Astros/Braves game and maybe a beer will readjust my thinking.
Danny Vee

Post by Danny Vee »

Grid solved Friday and I think I have the answer after the Friday Zoom, but I might be in a life raft or down a rabbit hole. Time will tell!
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Ashore!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

If you are ever up near Buffalo, NY, I would highly recommend visiting Letchworth State Park, also known as "The Grand Canyon of the East." We visited several years ago whilst on a trip to East Aurora to see The Roycroft establishment (we are avid Arts & Crafts fans). The State Park was originally the property of William Prior Letchworth who, in 1859, called it "The Glen Iris" and hired a noted landscape architect to develop it. He bequeathed the estate to New York in 1906.
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

Got patiently dragged onto shore. Very cool meta this week, but a little above my pay grade! I won’t submit the answer this week, but I’m eagerly waiting for the next one.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I got nothing.
Konnie
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

Ashore! Very clever one.
pookie

Post by pookie »

Nope.
Nothing.
Last week my first wild guess was actually the answer, but I forgot to enter.
This time my wild guess may be right as well. I'll send it in Sunday if I can't solve this...and it doesn't look good. :cry:
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

ship4u wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:50 pm If you are ever up near Buffalo, NY, I would highly recommend visiting Letchworth State Park, also known as "The Grand Canyon of the East." We visited several years ago whilst on a trip to East Aurora to see The Roycroft establishment (we are avid Arts & Crafts fans). The State Park was originally the property of William Prior Letchworth who, in 1859, called it "The Glen Iris" and hired a noted landscape architect to develop it. He bequeathed the estate to New York in 1906.
Been there. Stayed at the Glen Iris Inn. Lovely place. Highly recommended as well.
Summer Vacation 0073 Glen Iris Inn 19-06-02 ILCE-9.jpg
Summer Vacation 0084 Letchworth State Park 19-06-03 ILCE-9.jpg
Summer Vacation 0039 Glen Iris Inn 19-06-02 ILCE-7RM3.jpg
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Danny Vee

Post by Danny Vee »

Now ashore thanks to a gentle nudge from @ship4u! I’ll have mine shaken, not stirred! :D
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Reporting in to say I'm still on the ship. Did the grid with the kids on zoom last night, but found nothing by the time they had had enough of zoom time with dad and signed off. Drove back from shore vaca today and jumped on MGWCC. Should have stayed on WSJ, as it's due tomorrow.

Also because I'm stuck on MGWCC too. Alas, it's been a month of relative thick-headedness. (And I'm not referring to my brother, there.) Makes me wonder if those days of long solve-streaks are gone forever. Perchance a drink will help? Isaac, pour me a strong one and let me tell you my meta-troubles. You are such a good listener. I feel you actually care about my troubles...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:26 pm Also, in case anyone had high enough resolution to see my beat up face, I lost a battle with my dermatologist’s liquid nitrogen bottle today. Encourage your kids and grandchildren to use sunscreen and wear hats.
I'll echo that recommendation! When it comes to the liquid nitrogen treatment, been there, done that. Many times. A few years back I had mohs surgery on my face, followed by some additional surgery to fix up the mess. I showed my kids a photo of my face immediately after, with stitches running along a scar that started at the inside corner of my eye, ran down along my nose, and continued down to the corner of my mouth. Not pretty!

I will spare all of you the horror, and me the embarrassment, that would result from my posting that photo.

But it does remind me of the Mary Schmich essay in the Chicago Tribune.