"Urban Shift" - October 1, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Miki

Post by Miki »

docison wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:36 pm cute. on shore. Glad it didn't take too long as I've got a busy weekend ahead. My 2nd son becomes a bar mitzvah this Saturday (and Cindy and Toby are coming to Boston to celebrate with us!).
Bar Mitzvah and first page solve? Mazel Tov x 2 !!!
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

On shore. And glad to have been able to make it there (much, much) earlier than I usually do (when I make it at all, ofc). Now I’ll have more time to spend fangirling over Fat Bear Week 😍
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On Shore

(Fashionably) late - did I miss anything?
mrxiv

Post by mrxiv »

what country is ashore the capital of?
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Still enjoying drinks with Isaac on the boat. Grid was easy but toes have not dipped in the water on the meta.
Gman

Post by Gman »

I was page 1 this week, but previous "easy" weeks have stumped me and gone unsolved. I really think it's a question of noticing a bunny trail that happens to pay off. This week is not a slam dunk.
mrxiv

Post by mrxiv »

image.png
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

On shore fairly quickly this week. I'll take a nice IPA from Rough Draft Brewing to complement last week's puzzle.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

littlepigeon wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:27 pm On shore. And glad to have been able to make it there (much, much) earlier than I usually do (when I make it at all, ofc). Now I’ll have more time to spend fangirling over Fat Bear Week 😍
When I checked earlier, Grazer was getting the shaft. :-)
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I’m ashore, which sounds worse if you mistype without the ‘s’. I’m looking forward to some fancy cocktails.
Matt / Flamingbear
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

On shore and learned something new as I always thought 23D was a figment of Napoleon Dynamite's imagination ("bred for its skills and magic")
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

On shore and liked it.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Once again hanging with Isaac.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hi Isaac, haven't seen you in a long while. Keep 'em coming! Hoping for post enlightenment.
Heidi
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

We both had the same guess, but presumed it to be too few steps. Miss Kay seems to have confirmed, however, so we're "ashore", as they say. Afraid I start drinkin even before finshing these, so I'll merely have a couple more Miller Lites. Medicinal, you see. . .

Oh, and it turns out that my favorite poster on quora.com, Viktor Toth, has a calculator hobby. :-) http://www.rskey.org/CMS/
Barney

Post by Barney »

Barney wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:52 pm As per usual, reading the first couple or pages is depressing. But as the pages roll along I generally find a few more of “my people.”

The “misery loves company” crowd.

🛥 🚤 🚢 🛳
Ok wordsmiths, what’s it called when someone puts a large boot into your hind end and gives it a giant hard shove?

Repeatedly?

Doesn’t have to rhyme with “not a solve,” but you could call it that. :?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Started a day late, but got on the beach all the same.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We are on shore 🏝️. Needed the extra day
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore!

Fairly quick. Nice "A ha!" moment. But I can see why it's an "either you see it or you don't" type of puzzle. Or maybe an "either you get it or you don't" puzzle? A bit quick for us. But west coast son needed to leave our zoom for an event or something fun anyway, so it was good we finished quickly.

Though... What could be more fun or important than zooming with your father and sibling???

Edit: Forgot to mention my poison of choice... Having drained the box wine last week by ripping a hole in the corner of the plastic bag with my teeth and sucking it dry after after my less than stellar performance which ended a 43 week streak, I will now ask the cocktail waitress to open a fresh bottle of whichever red wine they have that is closest to 60 degrees. This beach weather can be murder on a nice bottle...
Last edited by HunterX on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Once again, I spend 15-20 minutes filling the grid, then the next few days not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I mean, I see something, but I'm not sure how to use it or what to apply it to.

The fact that we're still only on page 7 on Friday evening tells me this one isn't as easy as people are making it sound.