"Interstate Travel" - September 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:18 pm How are people "getting confirmation"?

That doesn't happen with these puzzles, unless I've missed something?
look skyward, it’s east of Orion in the stars....

but seriously, we just ask someone who’s ashore
Last edited by SReh26 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

DannyWalter wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:05 pm Goodness, how many 12-letter words are there? Solved the grid with some difficulty, and went immediately down a rabbit hole that yeilded a 12-letter word that was kinda fun, but I knew wasn't right. I went back and have found step 1 (very cute, made me grin), but did not jump straight to the answer. Need to put it down for a while, so count me on the ship for now, but with high hopes of catching a tender soon.
Ashore! Second look, saw it right away. I didn't even have to make a grid! Great puzzle, much fun, still smiling. These moments are what keep me coming back!
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

Ashore straightaway.

I took a new approach to this one and started by writing down all my guesses at the mechanism prior to filling in the grid, based on title and clues alone. Not that I wouldn't have made it anyway, but was extraordinarily successful with my guesses. May have to try this approach again.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Fun puzzle, quick solve. :)

On the beach and enjoying having my toes in the sand!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Traveled until an hour ago, printed the grid, solved it (a bit difficult!), and see the path. But no time to walk down that path just yet as I need my beauty rest (if you knew me, you would know that's true . . .).

EDIT: Up and quick stroll down the path. Will wait til this afternoon when the holiday weekend officially begins, but that batch of margaritas is beckoning.
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Woohoo! Two in a row and safely on shore! Fun one!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Very tough grid this week - for the meta, the hints are clearly laid out which can wait until the weekend.

Chilling with Isaac for now - about the last two contest roll-outs, he doesn't know what's going on over at the WSJ puzzle room either, but he has his suspicions - and he wouldn't say any more, but he did do a double finger point to the beer tap.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Duh! Dragging my heels to shore after record-setting rains last night in New York. All right, all right. It was fun. Just sorry it wasn't fun a lot sooner!
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Ashore by midnight - enjoying a late-night drink to celebrate!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

On shore! Loved this one.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

On SHORE 🏝
Currently in the “Land of Fire and Ice” 🇮🇸 . A big island! Will be at the black sand beach later in week!
Last edited by Ergcat on Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Fun! Ashore!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:18 pm How are people "getting confirmation"?

That doesn't happen with these puzzles, unless I've missed something?
There is no official confirmation until the answer comes out on Monday. But when everything fits perfectly - puzzle title, clues in the grid, meta mechanism that works, and a potential solution that harks back to the puzzle title, then you can be pretty sure you've got the right answer.

(However, on some occasions you think you've got all of those things, but still get it wrong. On this forum, that's known as a PAGEANT [I know there is a reason why it's called this, but it was before my time!] And when that happens, there can be lots of red faces on Monday!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:53 am There is no official confirmation until the answer comes out on Monday. But when everything fits perfectly - puzzle title, clues in the grid, meta mechanism that works, and a potential solution that harks back to the puzzle title, then you can be pretty sure you've got the right answer.

(However, on some occasions you think you've got all of those things, but still get it wrong. On this forum, that's known as a PAGEANT [I know there is a reason why it's called this, but it was before my time!] And when that happens, there can be lots of red faces on Monday!)
Our Cruise Director, Bob, has posted a very nice explanation of pageantry at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Fell asleep while completing the grid last night. Woke up to finish up the grid and voila! I agree, a fun swim. Joining the masses on the 🏖️ .
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
femullen

Post by femullen »

Ashore. Eye-opener, please.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
Late start, but after getting through the gruelling grid it was a quick swim.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

femullen wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:30 am Ashore. Eye-opener, please.

CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Done
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Having morning coffee on the beach.
Rufus T. Firefly