"Continuing Education" - February 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Yeah, this is the first time in the 45 consecutive WSJ metas I've done that I fear I may be submitting what was not the intended answer. But I think it's safe to say I saw the relevant pieces, and I learned some stuff while trying to make my final decision. If I'm wrong, I just hope this wasn't my lucky week for the drawing!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:58 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:28 pm Well I did that the hard way. Just as I was finding the last piece, I noticed something that should have been obvious from the get go.

Wendy, sorry about 25D😉
As far as I'm concerned, anything about the Three Musketeers should carry a trigger warning!
You don't do MGWCC, do you? Maybe this week it's just as well. :)
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

grwinski wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 pm The comments here convince us more and more that we have the same trepidation as others. There are plausibly 4 answers to this, assuming we're thinking the same school as others.

Do we roll the dice? Still stewing about it here in Colorado, where we're getting another 3 inches today after 5 on Thursday. (talk about icy!)

Rita and George
I’m in Colorado too! I somehow made it home from a business trip late last night after dodging snow in Hartford, Chicago, and Denver (I think I used up all of my travel luck for the year). The drive home from DIA last night was crazy!
Patty

Post by Patty »

I'm on shore. I was happy with my answer until I read the posts and see that there are multiple possibilities, which I missed. Since I have already submitted my answer (I don't intend to look any further for them😃) but look forward to the discussion on Monday. Enjoy the weekend!
Scrablett

Post by Scrablett »

Ah, yes - now I see what all the chatter is about at the tiki bar. On shore.
Last edited by Scrablett on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Let's all please try to be discrete and not go into too much detail when discussing our "trepidation" regarding the answer. I understand there is some ambiguity, but I feel some posts discussing the nature of that ambiguity are bordering on spoiler territory. Thanks!
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. I submitted what seems to be a 100%-er. Hope it is the right one.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Got this one pretty quickly, happy to be at the party!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:11 pm Good Friday morning

First a warm welcome to our three newest muggles: yourpalsal, SusieG and michaelm. They have all made their way to the warm and dry shore.

We have 6 on the ship, mostly with an answer but... and we have 78 on the shore.

Last thing for those of us in New England, 42 years ago, we were in the midst of a blizzard which was legendary.

And 50 years ago, I was sitting in our apartment playing cards with my mother in law while my wife was in labor with our son. (for those who forget, the hospitals at that time did not allow the father in the labor room or the delivery room). And my wife has not let me forget!!!
A storm to remember! Amazing to see the whole city of Boston still and silent. Very striking.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MarkL wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:11 pm Good Friday morning

First a warm welcome to our three newest muggles: yourpalsal, SusieG and michaelm. They have all made their way to the warm and dry shore.

We have 6 on the ship, mostly with an answer but... and we have 78 on the shore.

Last thing for those of us in New England, 42 years ago, we were in the midst of a blizzard which was legendary.

And 50 years ago, I was sitting in our apartment playing cards with my mother in law while my wife was in labor with our son. (for those who forget, the hospitals at that time did not allow the father in the labor room or the delivery room). And my wife has not let me forget!!!
A storm to remember! Amazing to see the whole city of Boston still and silent. Very striking.
Two of my friends were stuck in that snow on 128. About 3 am, the police told them to leave their cars and get on the school buses in the northbound lane. Three days later, they got a call of where to pick up their cars.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Collage was founded in China around 200 BC. How are we supposed to know the person's name?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

will the infamous Boston Yeti make another appearance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O_JYc_yRo
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

and ... I don't have four possible answers, I have what's in the newspaper and what I've completed on the grid, so not sure what all the concerns are.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:54 am As documented to a fellow muggle who has submitted, I see 4 possible answers, with my subjective handicapping, below. Explanation on Monday.

60%

30% My submitted answer.

9%

1%
I understand three, but not the fourth. Will look forward to the explanation.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Onshore. Good to be back on solid ground once again after some off weeks.
Tennisfan826

Post by Tennisfan826 »

Whew, relieved to get this one in short order after coming up empty the past two weeks.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MajordomoTom wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:33 pm will the infamous Boston Yeti make another appearance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O_JYc_yRo
Not with the amount of snow that we have on the ground this year
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

pddigi wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:56 pm Ashore. Waiting for Dom to join me.
Joined by Dom, who so wants to overthink this and not go with the answer we independently arrived at. I will just wait for the reveal Sunday at 11:00 central - I am just not going to try to see if I/we have been pageant-ed.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

On shore