"I Spy" - November 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Huh. Another week where Saturday morning sees us only on pg. 5. I must admit, this phenomenon makes me feel not so alone. I'll be hanging at the bar with Isaac and the Muggles who, like me, are not spying a darn thing!

Happy Thanksgiving, Muggles. (I'd be thankful to solve this meta!)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A huge thank you to all who joined the Zoom Group Solve last night! We got the answer within 45 minutes. Every Muggle who showed up contributed to our collective success in one way or another!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Lost at Sea! I am really growing weary of typing those three words. I'm going to take my meta-solving-failure-streak as a sign that I need to focus on other things. Right now, that means getting some of my Thanksgiving baking started. Today's selection will be two pecan pies. Tomorrow will be yeast rolls. The hard part will be keeping my husband from "sampling".
Sara
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

I have an answer, but I'm going to chill with Isaac and think about it for a while. Took too much back solving to get there for me to be comfortable with it.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:55 am A huge thank you to all who joined the Zoom Group Solve last night! We got the answer within 45 minutes. Every Muggle who showed up contributed to our collective success in one way or another!
Truth:

@Wendy Walker & @Bob cruise director led us in a very orderly & productive manner, allowing the information to sink in & be digested. Most importantly, everyone who wanted to contribute was able to while not being rushed. THANK YOU, Wendy & Bob!

Also, big THANKS to Peter @Abide for his sage counsel. It helps to have an expert creator & super-solver in the mix. Having solved, he gave perfect direction without ruining muggles' AHA!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

HunterX wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:01 pm
hunkra wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:44 pm Haven't had a clue since MWAHAHA! Maybe Isaac's Mojitos have lost their mojo. Switching to coffee might work. Count me on the ship.
Or is it that Isaac's Mojitos still have their mojo, the kind you want in a drink, which is not conducive to intellectual pursuits like meta-solving?
Shhhhhhhhhh! I've been trying to keep that a secret so I don't get black-balled. :lol:
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Still lost at sea - not sure if I have too many possibilities or none at all. If this is easy to medium difficulty, they need a new rating scale or I need to find a new hobby! I wish I could have joined the Zoom yesterday - hoping there will be another for the rest of us stragglers.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Sad to have missed the call last night. I do enjoy my muggle fix! We went to dinner with some old friends we haven’t seen in awhile and had a blast. I received confirmation of one part of the meta and he filled in rabbit 🐇 hole that I was playing in. I will keep my eyes 👀 open for the meta and hopefully get to shore by Sunday evening! Now, off to Cincinnati to a wedding this afternoon.

See you Tuesday on Zoom!
Kevin
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
It took a while. I didn't see it until I did.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Just wondering: if you send a PM and it is in the outbox (after seeing successfully sent when submitting the message) does the other person receive it? Or is it supposed to show up in sent messages.
Thanks
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Nlobb wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 am Just wondering: if you send a PM and it is in the outbox (after seeing successfully sent when submitting the message) does the other person receive it? Or is it supposed to show up in sent messages.
Thanks
I've seen this happen, too, where some messages sit in the outbox for a bit before achieving "sent" status, but mine always eventually go through without any more action on my part.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Nlobb wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 am Just wondering: if you send a PM and it is in the outbox (after seeing successfully sent when submitting the message) does the other person receive it? Or is it supposed to show up in sent messages.
Thanks
A PM stays in your Outbox until the recipient opens it. Once opened, it appears in your Sent folder.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Thanks for the clarification!!!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I believe I have it, with a nudge from @wendy walker. I had to leave the Zoom call before the "aha" moment. Frustrating that I didn't see it before.
Heidi
woozy

Post by woozy »

I find this *extremely* annoying and the defenders will defend to the death that it is perfectly logical (although I can't see it).

"OUT" means it is out for delivery but has no been read by the recipient yet. I'd accept this as a logical designation if the alternative box would be "DELIVERED" or "RECIEVED" (although that'd be confusing as to what the meaning or intent would be).

"SENT" means it has by received by the recipient. This is IMO a weird choice of wording in that unread mail has also been "sent".

Weird though this is it has a nice advantage as the sender has a "cool down" reflective time and grace period where on can edit or delete the message while it is in the OUT box. i.e. after the message has been.... "sent"/put into mail process to be delivered but has not yet been recieved.... but before it has been SENT/read and received by the recipient.

This grace period is nice and the triage composing/sending/received has it's own consistent logic but dang if its not confusing as hell to the uninitiated.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Barney

Post by Barney »

Schmeel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:50 am Ashore.
It took a while. I didn't see it until I did.
Why is it you always find something the last place you look?

At any rate, count me on the ship Bob. For the duration.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

Another toughie although Matt and Mike promise that they will get easier. In fairness to both Matt and Mike, their test solvers varied on their opinions between getting it quickly and needing a good shove.

I will tell you, after being dragged through the water to shore on the zoom call last night, that it is both solvable and that the methodology is straightforward. You don't need any extraneous knowledge especially if you have been with us the past couple of months and have a good memory.
And thanks to Wendy for being a good momerator (that is a combination of being a mom and a moderator).

And for those who think they have lost their mojo - you haven't. This is the hardest four week stretch since we began these things. Hang in there and look at it as a learning experience.

That being said we have 44 on the ship and 37 on the shore, many on the shore will not be submitting.

Those of us enjoying Isaac's array of drinks and large screen TV's are

norrin2
Tina
SReh26
Wendy
Joepickett
ladybird
Mike H
ajk
VanVeen
Brian M
Ergcat
hoover
femullen
EVJ
mattythewsjpuzzler
Scott M
pjc
DrTom
minimuggle
spotter
Commodore
tiagomeunome
Jeremy
hunkra
JeanneC
streroto
benchen71
Moi
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
Richard
escapeartist
Colin
JRS51
Dow Jones
markhr
ricky
RussHiggins
Hidden in 3D
TeaJenny
Deb
Bill Swerski 13
auee89
MarkWoychick
barney

While the shore party is
michaelm
Jace54
Omnibus
BEACHEDWHALE
boharr
sharkicicles
Peter
darth
Chris
Thurman8er
MajorDomoTom
pipster
Mister Squawk
docison
coffeefrog
Meg
Cindy
RPardoe
KscX
Bill
dpl11
TeamDoubleTow
dudeski
tmitchell
mrmd
Al
TheCatt
Joe R
patpatchica
NDStegs
HeadinHome
MatthewL
GTIJohnny
JennyByrd
CPJohnson
Schmeel
Heidi

Good luck to all and nudges are fair game this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I have so lost my meta mojo (snd confidence) that I probably couldn't get the Toyota one if that had been published this week! :cry:
VanVeen

Post by VanVeen »

I found a pathway but it includes some, well, distasteful words. I can’t imagine this meta would fail the “Sunday Morning Breakfast Test.”
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm also on the ship. Thanks @Wendy Walker for moderating last night!