"Countdown" - July 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Refresh...
Refresh...
Refresh...
Looks like it's going to be one of those weeks...
Sigh!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

18 Muggles and 28 guests lurking on this forum--waiting and waiting.

And........we're off!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

That was traumatic. Sauvignon blanc and salad before dinner. I'll check in with Isaac later on the real thread for this week.
Rufus T. Firefly
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Cindy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:12 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:11 pm The better hurry, I have a 5 pm haircut appointment. I will open the topic with some question marks and TBD's
You should plan your schedule better, LOL! No Thursday conflicts.
I know, right... my team has a weekly Thursday 4pm meeting... and I had to present today so there was no way to get the puzzle "on time"...
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:20 pm
Cindy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:12 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:11 pm The better hurry, I have a 5 pm haircut appointment. I will open the topic with some question marks and TBD's
You should plan your schedule better, LOL! No Thursday conflicts.
I know, right... my team has a weekly Thursday 4pm meeting... and I had to present today so there was no way to get the puzzle "on time"...
And I foolishly scheduled Physical Therapy every Tuesday and Thursday at 3. I have learned that they often have no one right before me, so I go early. Home today at 4:02.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:36 pm
FKelly wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:40 pm
Thanks for posting the nice photos of barred owls. A week ago, our boot camp workout was interrupted by a large hawk or eagle catching a very surprised sparrow under the branches of a tree about 15 feet away. For such a large bird, it's surprisingly agile. It happened so fast no one was able to get a photo.
Most likely a Cooper's hawk based on your description. And you are right, how agile and quick they are.
It probably wasn't a Cooper's hawk based on the appearance as per https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/id
It appeared to be a solid bronze in color with perhaps some variation front versus back. It made a tight loop around the tree trunk and then came to a stop in midair at about the time of intercept.