Subscription now required to access crosswords

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
JaneGummy

Subscription now required to access crosswords

Post by JaneGummy »

It appears there is a new paywall requiring a subscription login to access the crossword puzzles. Has anyone else experienced this?
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

For the WSJ yes I have and it makes me grumpy :)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

My phone app still downloads the PUZ file without needing to pay anything. Alternatively, download it from https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/21-wsj.html (that is, until you can't!)

Then, submit your answer as the subject of an email to crosswordcontest@wsj.com.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The inability to access WSJ crosswords may have been a temporary technical issue.

I was able to access all crosswords, without being signed in, & the PDFs were downloadable from both the links & printing from the online forms:

20220525 WSJ Xwd PDFs .png
MMe

Post by MMe »

I just now (Chrome on MacOS) hit a subscription paywall when I clicked on today's puzzle (instead of getting the app). Then I tried it again and got the app with the puzzle.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Looks like it was a temporary glitch. I can always download from my library for free but that has more steps = hassle, so I'm glad it is resolved
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I am currently on vacation and have my phone and tablet but no full size computer with me. With "countdown" today, I discovered that I have to hit the "use desktop site" option in Chrome to get the wsj puzzle. When using mobile it sat behind the pay wall but became accessible the moment I switched to desktop.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 pm I am currently on vacation and have my phone and tablet but no full size computer with me. With "countdown" today, I discovered that I have to hit the "use desktop site" option in Chrome to get the wsj puzzle. When using mobile it sat behind the pay wall but became accessible the moment I switched to desktop.
May have been the timing --
I experienced a glitch shortly after 4 when it looked like I wouldn't have access.
But I tried again a few minutes later and it was back to normal.
I chalked it up to someone being on vacation! :)
Enjoy yours out on the Cape!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

It happens from time to time. It usually fixes itself quickly.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the puzzle today?