"Cover Band" - July 1, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

To go with my latest avatar, here's a video of a monarch emerging from its chrysalis:
Cynthia
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

14 minutes start to finish--not a personal record, but not bad for me. Glad I took the time to squeeze it in.

Have a happy and safe 4th. When people stop trying to get here by the millions, I'll start worrying about the greatness of our country.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:08 am Tell It Like It Is

R&B, Texas blues, rock or pop
Will the musical mix ever stop?
So it seems on the level
To suggest Aaron Neville
Could cover the band ZZ Top
Saw the Neville's a few times. Wish it were more. Always excellent. Aaron singing falsetto is amazing. He walked by our seats going to the stage at a show 30 years ago and he is a large guy that makes the falsetto all the more amazing. His cover of John Hiatt's "Looks Like Rain" is incredible (as is the original).

The only time I saw ZZ Top live was at a Rockets game (they have season tickets courtside) where they did air guitar of their own songs at halftime. Many years ago, when we all were young.

---edit---
...and I expect my email regarding the mug before I wake up...
Rufus T. Firefly
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:57 pm
Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:08 am Tell It Like It Is

R&B, Texas blues, rock or pop
Will the musical mix ever stop?
So it seems on the level
To suggest Aaron Neville
Could cover the band ZZ Top
Saw the Neville's a few times. Wish it were more. Always excellent. Aaron singing falsetto is amazing. He walked by our seats going to the stage at a show 30 years ago and he is a large guy that makes the falsetto all the more amazing. His cover of John Hiatt's "Looks Like Rain" is incredible (as is the original).

The only time I saw ZZ Top live was at a Rockets game (they have season tickets courtside) where they did air guitar of their own songs at halftime. Many years ago, when we all were young.

---edit---
...and I expect my email regarding the mug before I wake up...
I hadn’t heard Neville’s version before so I just called it up on Apple Music. Wow! Of course John Hiatt is also an incredible songwriter. BTW, the title is Feels Like Rain. Makes me want to be sure to get over to NOLA for Jazzfest again. It’s been a couple.

It should come as no surprise that the Savant’s favorite Aaron Neville song is Everybody Plays the Fool.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

"bigrams" is a new one for me.

Alternatively, "the sets of two letters above the six ZZ's in the grid..."

Probably gonna be a grid answer this week in the daily WSJ crossword, right?

* Shakes fist at the WSJ Thursday Crossword *
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
KayW

Post by KayW »

escapeartist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:34 am "bigrams" is a new one for me.
For me as well, at least in the context used in this puzzle.
622570C3-1B40-45CC-A51E-898D5892ABC1.jpeg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:32 pm To go with my latest avatar, here's a video of a monarch emerging from its chrysalis:

I love this place! :D

We got the flora last week with @KayW's cactus blooming, and now the fauna with @CPJohnson's butterfly emerging!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bigrams and trigrams are common verbiage in cryptography books for decryption cribs. "The Code Book" talks a lot about them.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Dplass wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:33 am

Bigrams and trigrams are common verbiage in cryptography books for decryption cribs. "The Code Book" talks a lot about them.
Had to go with the term "bigram" due to the limited space in which to fit the explanation.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:57 pm ...

I hadn’t heard Neville’s version before so I just called it up on Apple Music. Wow! Of course John Hiatt is also an incredible songwriter. BTW, the title is Feels Like Rain. Makes me want to be sure to get over to NOLA for Jazzfest again. It’s been a couple.

It should come as no surprise that the Savant’s favorite Aaron Neville song is Everybody Plays the Fool.
I could blaim spel czech, but I'll just pick old age.

John Hiatt is one of those guys, that despite being pretty famous is very underappreciated. Also, Ry Cooder (and I have to stop the list, because I could do this all afternoon).

If you go to the Jazz Fest, definitely look to see Keb' Mo. Not from NOLA but sure sounds like it. An incredible performer.
Rufus T. Firefly
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Happy fourth! As noted, this one seemed to be on the easier side, and the result was one of our biggest turnouts in the history of this contest! (I am as always relying on our superfan record-keepers to report the ranking.).

We had 3,556 entries, with fully 90% correct. Some guesses for other ZZ performers such as LIZZO (15) and OZZIE OSBOURNE (12), plus 14 for ZZ TOP themselves and one for a tribute band called Eliminator.

Congrats to this week's winner: Robert Wemischner of Los Angeles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

The 6th highest number of total submissions and the 5th highest number of correct submissions.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Fantastic, thank you as always Barbara!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Since we’re zeroing in on the letter Z this week, I’ll play.
Yellow Bartzella Intersectional/Itoh peony with friends today
4A95BB2D-8FD7-4FD8-B135-E65DBBA8629B.jpeg
Japanese Mr. Itoh was the first to successfully cross a regular peony with a tree peony, so he gets the credit for this difficult feat.
This gorgeous big yellow gal has won every award the peony world has to offer.
This is the best nursery to buy peonies IMO
https://swensongardens.com/Home/Intersectional
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:28 pm Since we’re zeroing in on the letter Z this week, I’ll play.
Yellow Bartzella Intersectional/Itoh peony with friends today
4A95BB2D-8FD7-4FD8-B135-E65DBBA8629B.jpeg
Japanese Mr. Itoh was the first to successfully cross a regular peony with a tree peony, so he gets the credit for this difficult feat.
This gorgeous big yellow gal has won every award the peony world has to offer.
This is the best nursery to buy peonies IMO
https://swensongardens.com/Home/Intersectional
I once crossed a tree peony...it never forgave me!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:26 pm Happy fourth! As noted, this one seemed to be on the easier side, and the result was one of our biggest turnouts in the history of this contest! (I am as always relying on our superfan record-keepers to report the ranking.).

We had 3,556 entries, with fully 90% correct. Some guesses for other ZZ performers such as LIZZO (15) and OZZIE OSBOURNE (12), plus 14 for ZZ TOP themselves and one for a tribute band called Eliminator.

Congrats to this week's winner: Robert Wemischner of Los Angeles!
lloyd-300x300-1.jpg
Ummmm...no