MGWCC #735 - “Bit by Bit” by Richard D. Allen

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up! Bit by Bit.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I’m not seeing it.

Edit: I get it now. Just about to submit. Clever.

Steven McKinney
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Beam me up!
Abide

Post by Abide »

A devilish Week 1. Thanks @ricky !
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up… another where I do the fill, stare off-and-on for awhile, and my better half sees it in less than 5 minutes. Enjoy your weekend, all!
Ray
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Beam me up. Awaiting confirmation.. it will be a high number because I just now got to it in the car on way to NC mtns to see all the kids and grands. I have been cleaning and packing my little heart out since Fri am. … if people are going to house & pet sit for you, house must be clean, beds changed, food & beer stocked, in addition to the packing! Not to mention tying up loose ends for work. AM I ON VACAY YET?? 🤪
The other Wendy. :roll:
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Nice one. Beamed up.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Beam me up as well! I love the community but a solo solve with no PMs feels great:) Excited for the 5-week guest line up, how tricky will it get :?:
-HB
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Reflecting on this one, there's something fun about Level 1 and 2 puzzles, where you're at least in complete bewilderment for a few minutes. That was definitely true for me on this one! But then, "Ohhhh..." That feeling, that lightning bolt, regardless of the level - it's such a fun experience.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed. But managed to mistype by nickname. Matt very kindly fixed it.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Loved it. Thanks Richard D Allen!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Confirmed at #374, and waiting to go into orBIT. That was fun! Not a rabBIT hole in sight, so no whining or BIT__ing from me on this one 🤭
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up at #410! Fun meta! Finally got a chance to really work on it today. I concur with others that it seemed like a Week 2.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Just getting to this, and fully de- and re-particalized.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:17 pm Beamed. But managed to mistype by nickname. Matt very kindly fixed it.
I figured that's what happened when I saw it in the "Overall" tab. I did that once too... when I thanked Matt for fixing it, he said "We must get about 2 or 3 of them every week."
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 735 Bit by Bit JR.png
ajk

Post by ajk »

One of the times where the eye just lands on the right thing immediately. Saw the NPR dupe as literally the first thing after completing the grid, so the meta took probably 15-20 seconds. Just lucky, but I'll take it after whiffing the past two weeks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

This one took me a bit of time. First thought that came to me was, look at the last words of each theme answer: PRINCESS, SOVIET, AGENT. Nine-letter answer has to be ANASTASIA, right? Wait though - she claimed to be the princess, and during the Soviet era, but I don't think she was ever accused of being an agent per se. Oh well. Maybe there was Cold War movie with an agent impersonating a royal? Can't think of one.

Coming back to it later I saw the entries VIET and IONA and was on my incremental way to the real solution.