MGWCC #733 - "Couples Only"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I will try it (when no one else is around). God knows I can use all the help I can get. 🤣
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

NM3.gif
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 5.35.22 PM.png
-Tamara
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

In the unlikely case that anyone was wondering, now that the deadline has passed I can tell the part I was unsure about. I submitted "recurring nightmares," and explained in the comments why I added "recurring" (because of the duplicate letters), and Matt took pity on me and accepted that :-) It looks like just "nightmares" was the expected answer, but at the time I still had no idea so I didn't want to nudge anyone to one or the other!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Meat ax: really a thing?

I thought the "couples" referred to things like ORE/ IDA being right next to each other and FIAT/ LUXOR, and so on. I didn't get far with this one. Like I said... streak of 7 once upon a time....
ajk

Post by ajk »

Yeah, this was in the not-my-week category. Saw the two-word entries, received a kindly nudge to focus on them and away from all the other rabbit holes I saw, and then did lots of things, including looking at the initials, but got nowhere. I did fail to put the initials in grid order, which is bad form, but I’m not sure I’d have seen it even then. Oh well. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I had the ten two word entries and the spent too much time on two word clues. Thanks to the late Zoom meeting, I found the answer. But I was only able anagram the answer. I know that Matt had a more elegant solution in mind, but I’m still having trouble seeing it.

Thanks to the Zoom host and participants for a fine meeting. I was only able to attend part of the session and had to leave abruptly. I wish I could have contributed.
Jack Sullivan
TMart

Post by TMart »

I don't know if there was a more elegant way to know how to order the "couples", but this is how i did it:

NOIDEA_______NI
INDIGOGIRLS____IG
GOHOME________GH
HELLOTHERE______HT
TEXTMESSAGE______TM
MEATAX (?)__________MA
ATRISK_______________AR
REALESTATE____________RE
EVERSO_________________ES
SAYNO___________________SN
woozy

Post by woozy »

Did anyone notice that if you take the horizontal double letters the letters spell NOELS.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

It was definitely a fitting meta answer, since the last time I was part of a couple, that was a NIGHTMARE.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Anyone else submit the Hail Mary METAMORPHOSIS?
😂
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 pm Meat ax: really a thing?

I thought the "couples" referred to things like ORE/ IDA being right next to each other and FIAT/ LUXOR, and so on. I didn't get far with this one. Like I said... streak of 7 once upon a time....
I really wanted meat ax to be “meta” but it didn’t work with the other entries.
Heidi
woozy

Post by woozy »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 pm

I really wanted AT RISK to be AsTeRISK.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Kind of amusing this came across in a cracked listicle in my Facebook feed while the big MGW streak discussion was happening...

Screenshot_20220622-084939_Facebook.jpg
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:33 pm

This was such a rabbit hole!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hmmm. So it was in the grid, eh? My grid didn't help.
Picture19.jpg
oggy

Post by oggy »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:22 am
woozy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:33 pm

This was such a rabbit hole!!
Also VERSO/RECTO staring at us in the grid, along with a few other junk “couples” like IN/OUT, YES/NO.

Also the fact that if you take the entries corresponding to the 2-word clues whose words each have the same length ("couples?"), their first letters can be arranged to form GUITARS, and I _really_ want Matt to send us guitars after all this because that would be so much better than NIGHTMARES.

Fun seeing all the red herrings people found now that the dust has settled.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:46 pm Hmmm. So it was in the grid, eh? My grid didn't help.

Area 51, right?