"Online Shopping" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, with a push from Cinny.
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The nudges are having an effect. We're up to 31 now!

AaronT
kymike
KayW
whimsy
lbray53
Golem
DebbieC
DrTom
rjy
dplass
Bbaack
Bird Lives
Joe
Cindy Heisler
Laura M
Johnny Luau
CPJohnson
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Make that 33!

Tyrpmom
LindaPRmaven
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ReB

Post by ReB »

Came back this evening hoping for nudges - needed them all (though I might have been able to evade needing the fourth one had I been a bit more patient, but that was in short supply this evening). With them, it was a somewhat tedious slog but a straight route to cross the moat.

As it turns out, I had the right concept for the first step but had bogged down in a miry slough that fortunately was alligator-free.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Late to the castle and needed nudges. Looks like everyone's asleep; I'll just help myself to the ale.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I might be in a similar boat before the moat (with a goat); I have the first step but not much else! Time to chew.

Update: The first three nudges just confirmed what I have. To reveal #4 or not to reveal #4, that is the question...

Second update: Got it with the 4th and final nudge. Clever!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

Dplass wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:35 pm
ky-mike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:06 pm Confirmed on Crosshare.

Nice one, Ben. Nudges made it very clear what I needed to do.
Huh. I don't grok #4...even after having discovered the other 3 on my own...

same.

[though I did ultimately need #3 to confirm that SEVEN was not, in fact, one of the numbers we needed. i'd initially spotted ONE, but then realized that the same place also gave SEVEN---even if backwards---so i assumed that the "real" ONE would be easily located elsewhere in the grid (pro tip: it was not).]

gotta say, i am Not a fan of when a (or, as in this case, THE) crucial spoiler gets all bold and assumes i know stuff and don't need to be walked through it like i'm ten literal minutes old.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The final batch of solvers before the answer reveal are as follows:

Andrew Bradburn
ReB
vandono
jbird
MikeyG
MeloMania

That's a total of 39. Well done everyone.
(Apologies if I missed anyone who DMed me; I think I got you all, but mistakes happen!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the answer to "Online Shopping"...

Online Shopping (solution).png

Apologies if you were thrown by the two entries with Roman Numerals, the clues with numbers in them, or the numbers that could be found backwards in two entries (TEN in ARNETT and SEVEN going backwards across ONION and EVES). I guess we all had looking backwards going through our brains thanks to @DrTom!