Length by Length

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Amazingly enough, this:
AnswerPfinder wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:16 pm The second step is really well disguised.
was all the hint I needed. Don’t know ask me why, but it triggered something in my brain and I had an idea of something else to try. It didn’t work, but while looking at that, I saw the correct metanism.

I am out of the box.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Out of the box, after a series of helpful nudges from @boharr. Very tricky, indeed!
ricky

Post by ricky »

I need a nudge. Got nothin'.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

I am where ricky is. A wee nudge would be welcomed.

Thx, Barbara. That hit the spot.
Last edited by dudeski on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Me three.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, but with a nudge. Feel like I should have thought of the 2nd step by myself, though.
Cynthia
Joe

Post by Joe »

I did take a hint, but DINO ME!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
jbird

Post by jbird »

Got there with some nudges
woozy

Post by woozy »

I had a dream of a clever and consistent mechanism that would work for a puzzle titled length by length where the meta is something that is measured and with these themers. But for *this* puzzle it was utterly useless.

I guess I'll take a teensy nudge.

.... or I'll give up.

... or I'll take a teeny nudge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudged to the dino.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I had the right idea all along just didn't apply it correctlly. Seems to be my problem lately (i.e. pig latin). Thanks to @BarbaraK for letting me know I was on the right track, just the wrong train.
Heidi
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

DINO ME! I got some help. A perfect nudge which still left some work to do. I was actually typing in a request for more help when the next step jumped out from the notes I was typing. There was still a bit left to figure out after that.

What a fun puzzle!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:sauropod: Nudged out of the tar pits. Elegant metanism.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I'm still in a nudge desert. I've no idea and have no nudges.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Got it with a helpful nudge. Not sure I would have seen it otherwise, but I should have given a recent meta that was a tough solve. Not the same Mx but similar enough that I shall now try to include that in my thought process. My problem is that there are so many different Mx that I cannot keep them all in mind.

Very cool route to the puzzle though.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

So when and where are explanations given?

... oh, I get it..... but... I thought I had thought of that.
chaddgar

Post by chaddgar »

What is the explanation? Thanks in advance.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

woozy wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:25 am So when and where are explanations given?

... oh, I get it..... but... I thought I had thought of that.
Answer explanations go out in the weekly emails on Sunday mornings, along with the following week's puzzle. If you're interested in getting added to that email list, just shoot me a PM or an email and let me know!

Answers also get uploaded to PandorasBlocks.org whenever I get around to it, which is usually about a month(ish) later.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

chaddgar wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:36 pm What is the explanation? Thanks in advance.
This was a really nice mechanism.

There was a clue that was two words each two letter long, a clue that was three words each three letters long, and so on. The coorespond to the square boards of sizes 2x2, 3x3, etc in the themers and the first letters of the entries spell the answer. I can't believe in my fevered scramblings I didn't stumble on that.