"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On the beach after weeks at sea while traveling all over the country for college grads for nieces and nephews. Good to see everyone again on shore! Happy Friday!
RicoTheSwede

Post by RicoTheSwede »

1. Didn't get the pool puzzle — count me in with Robert Preston:
"Now friends, let me tell you what I mean
You got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table
Pockets that mark the difference between a gentleman and a bum
With a capital "B" and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool"

2. Didn't get the pig Latin puzzle — I only know the real stuff:
"Quis multa gracilis te puer in rosa..."

3. This one I can handle! Ashore at last.
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

Ashore as well.
curtremarks

Post by curtremarks »

Ashore after last week’s debacle. Have a great weekend, let’s go Celtics.
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

Ashore after weeks at sea!!
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore. I see many of the faces from the last couple of weeks with Isaac. Feels like Mr. Shenk sent us a life raft.
Berto

Post by Berto »

There once was a crossword with metas,
A puzzle within the grid letters,
Last I found ard-hay,
This one’s down the fairway,
All fun - thank you to the setters!

Ashore - double-fisting a wine (for the food) and a G&T (for the digestion) :lol:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Streroto wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:38 pm
whimsy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:32 pm Quickly Ashore!
In time for Happy Hour at the Tiki Bar where they're featuring
"All the Wings you Can Eat!"

Capturebunwings2.PNG
Note: Bunnies are vegetarians.
I'm guessing these guys are barnyard pals and there's some interspecies grooming going on.
All the same it makes me think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail…
“…nasty, big, pointy teeth”
Trey

Post by Trey »

Looks like a rather popular shore today - Marion and I are joining all in the sand. We rowed together, but as it turns out, I had the faster oar today! Unusual for this team!

Luck to all.............
qvart

Post by qvart »

Ashore.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

A quickie...on shore. A bit too easy but it's nice feeling the sand in my toes.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore! Wishing for a Rüdesheimer Kaffee with Aspach Urhalt Brandy like the one shown below that I had a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve been AWOL for a few weeks on a long-delayed river cruise in Europe followed by a few extra touring days in Amsterdam, then 5 more days cooped up in a hotel due to a positive Covid test (mild cold symptoms, all resolved). Glad to be back in the Land of Muggles.

Here’s my lovely wife toasting the view from the Richard Wagner Museum, Lucerne:

Attachments
19AEF940-4F67-44E9-9EF6-A423BB94C8C1.jpeg
1CA86A00-3393-4025-8719-FFEB783F50AD.jpeg
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore. This island needs to be the size of Greenland.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

What’s great about this one, apart from all the company on the beach, is that Caspar (12) when given the completed grid and the highlighted clue worked it out for himself and earned 500 yen. So he should be a Muggle until around 2090 by my reckoning….!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

eagle1279 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:14 am Ashore! Wishing for a Rüdesheimer Kaffee with Aspach Urhalt Brandy like the one shown below that I had a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve been AWOL for a few weeks on a long-delayed river cruise in Europe followed by a few extra touring days in Amsterdam, then 5 more days cooped up in a hotel due to a positive Covid test (mild cold symptoms, all resolved). Glad to be back in the Land of Muggles.

Here’s my lovely wife toasting the view from the Richard Wagner Museum, Lucerne:

Was just there (Lucerne) surprised we didn't run into each other :D !
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm On shore. Fastest one in a long time.
Hmmm, have comment that I think is funny but may be socially unacceptable....I'll just say Welcome Ashore (and congratulations - back from the honeymoon? Where did you go?)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This NC Tar Heel is on shore. Grid and meta solved. Oremay implesay hantay astlay eekway!!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Squeeze in folks! Joining the crowded beach here
Ray
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:58 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm On shore. Fastest one in a long time.
Still married?

(asking for a friend)
Seems I am. But I'm going to have to continue solving metas quickly if I want to stay that way!
DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:01 am Hmmm, have comment that I think is funny but may be socially unacceptable....I'll just say Welcome Ashore (and congratulations - back from the honeymoon? Where did you go?)
Was your comment something along the lines of what Michael Scott from "The Office" might say, perchance?

No honeymoon. Kids stayed in town, one until Thursday. Wife had a new hire start last Monday whom she has to train before he can take some of the work load off of her plate. Her work is so crazy that she got up a 5am the other day not to go to paddling practice (the usual reason), but to work on an edit that she needed to get done. And today she is at time trials for the US Dragon Boat team. So the honeymoon will have to wait.

We have an African safari (photo safari) planned for November which we're calling our honeymoon. It's hosted by my favorite singer/songwriter/guitarist who will travel with us. So I have to stay in my wife's good graces until at least then. But as I am newly retired, I'm staying at home doing all the housework, shopping, and cooking, which should help.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:01 am Hmmm, have comment that I think is funny but may be socially unacceptable....I'll just say Welcome Ashore (and congratulations - back from the honeymoon? Where did you go?)
Was your comment something along the lines of what Michael Scott from "The Office" might say, perchance?

No honeymoon. Kids stayed in town, one until Thursday. Wife had a new hire start last Monday whom she has to train before he can take some of the work load off of her plate. Her work is so crazy that she got up a 5am the other day not to go to paddling practice (the usual reason), but to work on an edit that she needed to get done. And today she is at time trials for the US Dragon Boat team. So the honeymoon will have to wait.

We have an African safari (photo safari) planned for November which we're calling our honeymoon. It's hosted by my favorite singer/songwriter/guitarist who will travel with us. So I have to stay in my wife's good graces until at least then. But as I am newly retired, I'm staying at home doing all the housework, shopping, and cooking, which should help.
[/quote]

Well, that's what you said.....

Paddling practice, my you do have an interesting - but potentially painful - relationship! I had to Google US Dragon Boat...impressive! Do you get to go to Hong Kong too?

African safari, well that makes my Italy trip pale in comparison. I'd be lion if I said I wasn't a little jealous.