"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
magres

Post by magres »

Feelin' the sand between my toes. Now for a nice mai tai.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Got it! Cute.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Think of a number ... of mugs won by me! I hope it's more than 0.
Ashore with my new drink -- Space-flavored coke zero! I saw it at the grocery store, it's kind of red.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, ashore but not submitting. I had a perfectly acceptable answer that was (1) derived from the GRID (2) Logical (3) 12 letters long (4) INCORRECT! I got thrown by a rather nefarious ruby colored fish which, once of the line, revealed what I should have seen (I'll post my solve sheet after the deadline) in the first place.

Ah well, obviously the relaxing shores of Lake Como, great food, great baked goods (bakery right down the road from our cottage) and wine did nothing for my solving ability. Maybe I just need more?

This was my morning walk to the bakery in the village - thank God it was a fairly steep walk back up or I would have needed the seatbelt extender for sure on the plane.
bakery walk.JPG
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:19 pm I've mentioned before that I'm a tour guide at my ancestral home, Primitive Hall. Imagine my delight at getting a text today from my tour group saying that they were en route and their GPS said they'd be there much earlier than expected: at exactly 4 p.m. on the dot.
But the tour went well and I'm on shore!
[Very cool, Wendy. Looked at the website. So great that you are so involved in this.]
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

Got it! Agree with @Katiedid , very cute.
vandono

Post by vandono »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:58 pm OK, ashore but not submitting. I had a perfectly acceptable answer that was (1) derived from the GRID (2) Logical (3) 12 letters long (4) INCORRECT! I got thrown by a rather nefarious ruby colored fish which, once of the line, revealed what I should have seen (I'll post my solve sheet after the deadline) in the first place.

Ah well, obviously the relaxing shores of Lake Como, great food, great baked goods (bakery right down the road from our cottage) and wine did nothing for my solving ability. Maybe I just need more?

This was my morning walk to the bakery in the village - thank God it was a fairly steep walk back up or I would have needed the seatbelt extender for sure on the plane.

bakery walk.JPG
That looks beautiful, Doc! Sweet wife found $400 roundtrip tickets to Milan back in February and I really wanted to go. Driving up to Lake Como would almost certainly have been on the itinerary if we'd gone. It didn't work out but I've started trying to learn a little Italian just in case it comes up again.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

We are on shore, and on page 46! (Sure feels like that)

Happy to solve one after last week's debacle (seems I've used that phrase before, along with other phrases like "curses Matt Gaffney"). It's sorta like Shenk takes pity on us mere Meta mortals who flail miserably at other non-Shenkian puzzles. I could say that it's like salve for a wound, but I also think he could be taking pity on us... Either way, happy to join all the revelers.

A toast to everyone's health, and continued safety.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore fairly easily, but in awe of the construction. A gentle swim after a brutal stretch; in the past 10 weeks I've only gotten 5 metas correct for a horrendous 50% run that pushed my overall 2022 average down to 74%. Hoping for a decent run to pull me back into B-minus territory.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Ashore! I was beginning to think I wouldn’t get this one but just picked it up and there it was. I had found what I needed,just didn’t know how to use it.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

And just like that, ashore! Now I can head into the weekend and not worry a bit about it.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Had a late start on the grid but saw the mechanism before the grid was complete, thanks for the lob Mike. Joining the very crowded beach. 😁🏖️
John77

Post by John77 »

On shore, quick swim this afternoon after two weeks on the boat.

Make mine a Guinness.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
John77

Post by John77 »

Commodore wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:51 pm Visit to engine room. "Need more power, Cap'n!"
Did the trick. Presently, and possibly long into the night, quaffing grog on the beach.
Flathead 4 Blocks.JPG
I always expected Kirk to say, just once, "Scotty, have you tried jiggling the handle ?!!!"
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We have joined the shore party! Have a great weekend Muggles!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Ashore. I've been in a real slump for the last two months and am thankful for an "easy" one. Something I've been wondering about: do you submit your answers in all capitals, like in the answers in the grid and in the announcements of the solutions? Or in lowercase, as is the custom when texting?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

turbotron wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:04 pm On the beach in record time! For once, I'll be able to join the Zoom as a solver. :D

Beer me!
I'll see you there since I actually got home today in time for a 4:30 zoom.

Not sure if everyone is already on shore, or if it's just that so many calling it easy have those at sea not wanting to say anything.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Danny Vee

Post by Danny Vee »

On the beach… first time ever! :D
mangine

Post by mangine »

Ashore! Good rebound from last week. Guinness me!
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

I’ve always wondered it there were any mug winners outside of the U.S.A.? You would think there are reader/subscribers in other countries?
Just curious!