23. Go West

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

23. Go West

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

Meta fans of the universe, unite! It's the end of the month, so it's time for a Mikey Meta and something special for Summer '22! It's time for the...

Beach balls not included! Basically, as a challenge to myself, I have decided to post a meta each week for 15 (!) consecutive weeks, ideally at my standard weekend time, which is 1 PM ET Saturday, but this may vary! The deadline for each meta will be 12 PM ET each Saturday, regardless of the post time of the following one.

You get 1 point (ooh, shiny) for each meta you solve for up to 15 points! Gold, silver, and bronze medals will be awarded for most metas solved during this span, so may the best puzzler win!

The levels of these puzzles will try to, by and large, match the weeks they are in for June, July, and August, along with the respective cluing in the grid (I've been told my clues are impossible, haha). Since I made this meta extemporaneously a couple of days ago, the rating might vary, so if you know me, it might be a 1.5, but I can't see it being much more than a 2 out of 5.

Note that, due to a lot of my other curriculum planning and such during the summer, you will find the Leaderboard of Destiny on Crosshare, so make sure to submit there!!

23. Go West

The three-word answer to the meta, illustrated repeatedly in the grid, is where I'm going on vacation.

Good luck - and may the summer of solves begin!

Mikey G
Last edited by MikeyG on Sat May 28, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeyG wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:03 pm I'm just getting up, haha. See you tonight!

Mikey G

What? No adorable baby photos to assuage our anxiety?

We've come to expect a certain level of service, even in "trying circumstances."
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Capturexxkitty.PNG
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I have drunk the PUN-ch --

Capturexxlassothe moon.PNG
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I'm on the board with my first shiny point! Fun one, Mikey!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On the board, in this (very chilly since I live in the southern hemisphere) "summer" of solves. Fun one, Mikey. Great cluing as usual!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Looking forward to the coming puzzles. Confirmed on crosshare.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Fun one. Thanks, Mikey.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Thanks, Mikey. That's quite a challenge for the summer, especially if you are constructing while going on vacation! ;)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Confirmed on crosshare. After trying to enter a two-word phrase. TWICE. Before finally re-reading the meta instructions :confounded: I think I need a vacation, too! Oh, wait... I'm retired.

Fun meta and cluing as always. Thanks, Mikey! I'm looking forward to the Summer of Solves.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Confirmed on CrossHare after being dragged to the .... wherever we go for a MikeyG meta. Thanks for the puzzle!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

KayW wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:22 pm Confirmed on crosshare. After trying to enter a two-word phrase. TWICE. Before finally re-reading the meta instructions :confounded: I think I need a vacation, too! Oh, wait... I'm retired.

Fun meta and cluing as always. Thanks, Mikey! I'm looking forward to the Summer of Solves.
Hey, i tried a one-word answer, then a two-word answer, then the wrong three-word answer. I don't know what the heck was wrong with me yesterday! I assure you i was sober (unlike now...)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Thanks for the nice warm-up. I initially read prompt as a three-letter answer.

Summer of Solves has been added to the Meta Calendar.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

It took me two guesses since I also did not read the prompt very carefully.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

FYI.......Wednesday's edition (6/1/22) of the L.A. Times features a crossword puzzle constructed by MikeyG & Christina Iverson.

http://games.latimes.com/games/daily-crossword/
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks for the link, Dow.
Great puzzle, @MikeyG (and Christina!)
Lots of fun even without a meta! :D
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:30 am Thanks for the link, Dow.
Great puzzle, @MikeyG (and Christina!)
Lots of fun even without a meta! :D
Too kind, thanks! Sometimes, when I solve any regular puzzle, I forget there's no meta involved! :D
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Helps if you read the directions, required two entries to get it correct, but I'm jealous of where you're going on vacation.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally solved after a nudge. I was wording it every way except the correct way!

Thanks, Mikey! Maybe I won't be so dense with the next one.
Cindy Heisler