MGWCC #730 - “Just Putting It Out There”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:44 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:24 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:36 pm ...
3. There’s red herring, unintended I’m sure. I spent a lot of time snorkeling after that one too.
That one of the theme clues included "crossword constructor" and the clue for 2-down had (Evan) Birnholz? Because how could that possibly be a coincidence? It must be part of the meta! Or not.
The prompt said the answer had 12 letters. There were only six two-letter clues, yielding six letters towards the answer. Where would the other six letters come from? I looked at the clues again. There were six one-word clues. Aha. Six letters, six clues. That can't be a coincidence. So what if the letters spell gibberish. If I keep staring at them long enough, trying combinations with the names or the two-letter-clue entries, surely something will appear, right?
I was looking at the six one word clues because two of them overlap with the added letters in the names: Slaves (teSLA) and Taste (STEvie). While trying to find some way to make the other 4 work, I noticed there were also 6 two word clues, and aha.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 5.24.51 PM.png
Am I alone in having considered golfer Soushi Tajima during the solving of this meta? ;)
-Tamara
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrennerTJ wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:31 pm Am I alone in having considered golfer Soushi Tajima during the solving of this meta? ;)
After I thought of four golfers without cracking a duckduckgo, I gave up on looking for more, including women. There are too many. I considered Michelle Wie, but she has an eleven-lettered name.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

My initial WAG was Justin Thomas, who had just won the PGA Championship the week before. ArnOLD PALmer was my second WAG guess. I learned a while back that it is fruitless for me to try and backsolve for the meta mechanism unless I am just missing 1-2 letters of a multi-letter meta answer.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Jumped the gun and sent in Payne Stewart. I know better. I’ve done this before and probably will again. I’m a little mad at me.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:25 am Jumped the gun and sent in Payne Stewart. I know better. I’ve done this before and probably will again. I’m a little mad at me.
Were you in a NESTing mood?