Mind the Gap

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Wow! Congratulations on this achievement.

We clearly weren't following the title because we fell... A lot. But Alex solved quickly when he applied the nudges tonight. Confirmed on Crosshare.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Off the couch. Excellent grid and meta. There is plenty of talent contributing to this site. Thanks to everyone for sharing your art.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Great inaugural effort, another constructor joins the growing club!

Thanks for the puzzle and a memory jolt!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it with a nudge from Mark, then Cinny. Thanks for the puzzle, Mark!
Cynthia
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Just as a good third base coach makes sure to retrieve a MLB rookie's first hit, I thought you might be interested in seeing your name in print... here's one, in a daily list of crossword links that's mailed out to anyone who wants it.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:33 pm Just as a good third base coach makes sure to retrieve a MLB rookie's first hit, I thought you might be interested in seeing your name in print... here's one, in a daily list of crossword links that's mailed out to anyone who wants it.
Thank you for sharing this, @Al Sisti! This is very cool, and I would have definitely missed it without your heads up. And thanks again for your help with the puzzle!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Off the couch?

I destroyed the couch!!

That was fun!!! :ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Additions to the solvers list, solution reveal tomorrow:

54. minimuggle
55. Cindy Heisler
56. Cinny
57. Dow Jones
58. Teamdoubletow
59. bhamren
60. jhseeman
61. CromsFury
62. DrTom
63. CPJohnson
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Hello Muggles, and thanks to everyone for solving and for all the kind comments about the puzzle. Based on 60+ solvers, it seems the puzzle was challenging enough but not overwhelming, which I was happy to see.

Between the Mind the Gap title and a few grid answers, many solvers picked up on the British connection, which may have been enough to solve (or at least try an answer in Crosshare). The gaps to mind were between the words in the four theme answers, from which you might have seen an alphabet run. Filling in that gap led to the answer, TUBE:

TEAMSTERS_UNION —> s_u —> T
ROOT_VEGGIE —> t_v —> U
IOWA_CAUCUS —> a_c —> B
SHERWOOD_FOREST —> d_f —> E

A major hat tip to @Al Sisti for several fun additions in the clueing, which really took the puzzle to a new level:
  • The clue for PEPSI (Its red, white and blue logo is universally recognized) also describes the London Underground logo
  • The examples provided in the clue for ROOTVEGGIE were tubers
  • The clue for ELIHU (Root of many crosswords?) also might have made you think of tubers
Thanks again for the help, support, and encouragement. I have several ideas for new puzzles, and perhaps I’ll have the chance to share them on MMM in the future!
A85FFF38-1C43-452E-842D-32D46B99B20B.jpeg
DIS

Post by DIS »

There is a city in Iowa called Waterloo, which is also a line on the Tube -- at one point I thought that was relevant.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

DIS wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:19 am There is a city in Iowa called Waterloo, which is also a line on the Tube -- at one point I thought that was relevant.
My initial plan was to see if I could spell TUBE with stop names using the same mechanism, but I couldn’t make it work.