"Out Of The Elements" - November 15, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

jakeorjacob wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:56 am Man, the feeling of everyone being so quick and confident and not feeling that click...
Nevermind that now
Ashore with the rest of you
But feeling quite slow
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

ArnoldMBrockman wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:38 pm Did Anyone Agree To What I Posted Last Week That There Should Be Two Winners Each Week?
OK, I'll play devil's advocate. If they gave more prizes, perhaps they wouldn't be considered so valuable and coveted. Maybe instead of WSJ giving more, MGWCC should give fewer monthly prizes.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:25 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:04 pm
DaveKennison wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 pm Puzzle solved, meta solved, backstroked ashore ... and this time I made sure my phone number was correct in my entry. (I made a mistake in it last week and I’m sure that’s why I didn’t get the call telling me I’d won the mug ... well ... that and a few other entries ... 😜.)
This raises a question I have had. Do they call if you win the mug? Or do they reply to your email submission.
They replied to my email submission. I assume if you submit through the website they initiate an email to the address you provided.
That’s what I thought! Thanks!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Friday night and we
are at one hundred and three
Go for the record
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Louwers

Post by Louwers »

Another easy swim. Christmas has come early this month.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Darlene V wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:42 pm
ArnoldMBrockman wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:38 pm Did Anyone Agree To What I Posted Last Week That There Should Be Two Winners Each Week?
I do .... at least two, if not more - and possibly scale the no. of mugs to how many correct responses there were - a percentage.
The Financial Times awards prizes for its Saturday cryptic crossword to the first 3 correct solutions drawn at random --- earlier this year I was one of the happy winners of the book, "The Meaning of Everything --- The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary." If the FT can award 3 books per week, certainly the WSJ can award 3 mugs per week.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

On shore, savoring a tasty Zinfandel.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Enjoyed a leisurely backstroke to shore, where the lapping waves massaged my scalp as I melded softly with the sand.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, nice way to relax for two weeks now, before surely getting slammed with a brain-buster next week.
Bombay Sapphire & Fever Tree please!
One world. One planet. One future.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Done

After a series of posers
We got back to back hosers
Instead of racking my brain
Here's this crummy quatrain

Sorry, never liked Hi-Ku
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I’ve been doing these for around three years. At some point, the quest for the mug became completely unimportant to me. I just want to solve the puzzle every single time.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Found this one pretty easy with only the tiniest of red herrings.

I actually sometimes forget there's even a mug involved, it's been so many times I've entered and never won. I'd say just do it for the fun of the puzzle.
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

On shore with a little help...

Cat sits on my chest
While I complete the puzzle
She's my good luck charm
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Cindy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:21 am I’ve been doing these for around three years. At some point, the quest for the mug became completely unimportant to me. I just want to solve the puzzle every single time.
I like solving puzzles and would continue to do these even if there wasn't a prize.

The WSJ puts most content behind a paywall. I like that this weekly contest is open to everyone.
Giving away a second mug, but only to a subscriber, sounds like something the WSJ would do. It would more than double my chances of winning. :)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I would do the puzzle if there were no prize involved, but I love that there is a mug, that there is only one, and that we all want it so desperately. And that I will likely never get one, so I will always have something to long for.
Hector

Post by Hector »

"it's more the journey itself than the actual grail" - Lancelot
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

"...[The mug], which, I just remembered, is grail-shaped. It's not the first time we've had this problem." - Dingo
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cannot like haiku
The beauty far evades me
Like more complete poems

For instance:

I dislike Haiku, cannot lie
I shudder when one goes by
It’s not that they sicken
But my heart they don’t quicken
They seem to start out and just die

Or even:

When I think of poems what comes to mind
Is rhyming, beauty and mankind
Words writ large to impact thought
Things to ponder quite a lot
But Haiku never makes the cut
Perhaps I’m in an iambic rut?

At any rate I am ashore, and there already seems to be no place to put my chair or spread my blanket, so I'll just stand and sip my lovely Willamette Valley Pinot (the second best place for Pinot Noir in the world).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

assume first best for Pinot Noir is in Australia?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:37 pm assume first best for Pinot Noir is in Australia?
Well, with Pinot Noir probably more than any other beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or betaster) but for me it is Burgundy, France, quite a jump from Australia even for a kangaroo. That said the Aussies have some darn good Pinot, it just doesn't quite tickle my palate like Oregon or Burgundy.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!