Hanging With the Band

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Had to wait for the nudges but kicking myself I didn't see it before. I now have so many songs spinning around that empty head of mine. Thanks for that :).
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Confirmed off the couch--didn't need the hints, just didn't get to it until last night.

What a fun meta--both to solve and to listen to.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Humming songs while sitting at the Lake. Of course this is Lake Como snd I snuck in a meta before the wife arose so there would be no glares. Not sure if I got it but doesn’t matter since the ear worms are worth the price of admission. Fun puzzle from Al
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hey, sorry it’s taken me so long to do the reveal and final tally… been a busy and eventful weekend. Anyway, that’s over, and so here I am.

The title, “Hanging With the Band,” didn’t really give a strong enough indication of where this meta was going, although I assume it made sense (as corroboration, if nothing else) after you solved. But how are you expected to solve?

15A said that there were 11 words from song titles by the subject band, and that that was a hint you’d need to solve. Did they jump out at you? For many of you – uh, solvers of a certain age -- yes, they did. Interspersed throughout the grid were the songs/words:

PROUD/MARY
GREEN/RIVER
LODI
COTTON/FIELDS
BORN [on the] BAYOU
BAD/MOON [rising]

That was all it took for a lot of solvers to recognize that these are all songs by Creedence Clearwater Revival (plus I referenced them in the clue for 21D). But now what? There’s still a ton of CCR songs in their discography… how are you to know which one to choose?

Here’s where that other odd clue, 41A, comes in: “Goes from top to bottom, as each member of the subject band does.” So now it hits you that you need to know the names of the members of CCR. They are John Fogerty, Tom Fogerty, Stu Cook and Doug Clifford. But wait a sec… those names are also interspersed in the grid (what a packed grid, eh?). And not only that, they’re all down entries, symmetrically placed at the four corners. Does that help us? Sure does… a(nother) look at their discography shows another CCR song that fits both the prompt and the puzzle’s title: “Down on the Corner,” which is our meta answer.

Okay, enough talk. The winner of either a Utica Club keepsake, or a Blarney Rebel Band CD, or $15 donation to the charity of his choice – randomly picked from our 62 solvers -- is lbray53. Congrats, and let me know what prize you want…
Picture9.png
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Mention was made Tuesday night that there was another one of their songs that would also be an acceptable answer. Maybe I didn't look long enough, but I haven't spotted which one that might be. Would someone fill me in?
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SewYoung wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 pm Mention was made Tuesday night that there was another one of their songs that would also be an acceptable answer. Maybe I didn't look long enough, but I haven't spotted which one that might be. Would someone fill me in?
Wasn't one of theirs, but someone suggested "Standing on the Corner."
Darth

Post by Darth »

Nice one, Al! Impressive construction with 15+ hints included in the grid answers. 8-)