"Social Media" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Anita

Post by Anita »

Crossed the moat after a bit of wading. (Three wrong guesses, would have been only two if we'd trusted an idea...)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A successful solver update before the nudges:

Tyrpmom
Hector
Qmark
schmidzy
K7
Anita and Steve
Alex R
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The entries whose clues begin with "Social media site" and end in "?" are in focus.

2. These sites/apps sound like real-world sites/apps.

3. What changed to make these made-up sites?

4. When you think you might have an answer (but it doesn't look quite right), you just might need to employ the same mechanism one more time.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
caroline

Post by caroline »

I'm so lost. I read the hints like ...
#1, duh
#2, duh
#3, duh
#4 - wait, what?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

OK, so we have two more solvers joining us:

ellequin
edestlin

which brings us to 27. And now, on to the answer reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Social Media":

Social Media (solution).png

Most of my metas involve a single step in order to obtain the answer. This was an attempt at a 2-stage meta, in which you have to utilise the same mechanic twice.

It was so much fun coming up with the clues for the pseudo-social media sites, especially INSTAGRIM, PIKPOK and ZEDDIT. And, of course, once you get the first step, TWATTER itself is a gentle mocking of TWITTER, for those of us familiar with the British English insult "twat". :lol:

We'll be moving into literary territory with tomorrow's MOAT. I for one am looking forward to it!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Doh! I got to TWATTER/TWITTER on day I. LOL both of which I tried submitting - more than once. But despite remedial nudges, I never made that final leap to I.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:37 pm
It was so much fun coming up with the clues for the pseudo-social media sites, especially INSTAGRIM, PIKPOK and ZEDDIT. And, of course, once you get the first step, TWATTER itself is a gentle mocking of TWITTER, for those of us familiar with the British English insult "twat". :lol:

Um.... are you aware of the American usage :oops: (which may be the same as the British usage but with narrower social acceptance)?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

KayW wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:13 am Doh! I got to TWATTER/TWITTER on day I. LOL both of which I tried submitting - more than once. But despite remedial nudges, I never made that final leap to I.
Exactly!
And I vaguely thought of Me (Me Me) as the appropriate type of answer (but with no mechanism) and still didn't consider I!! :P
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:31 pm
benchen71 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:37 pm

Um.... are you aware of the American usage :oops: (which may be the same as the British usage but with narrower social acceptance)?
Nope! Totally, blissfully, unaware. Hope I didn't upset anyone inadvertently.
markhr

Post by markhr »

I found it kind of amusing. I think that term is used more casually in Britain than in the US.
But I do appreciate the international perspective here.

I got to the final step, and considered ME or SELF as a possible answer, but not "I". Oh well.