MEOW #75 Making Points

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Bbaack

Post by Bbaack »

Lots of fun, and very clever. Thanks!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, with a push from Cinny. Great puzzle, DrTom!
Cynthia
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

CPJohnson was good enough to lend me a hand. Is there such a thing as a solver’s block? I had the answer written down in my Hail Mary notes. I had the letters to the answer highlighted in the grid. And yet I could not see it.

So it seems the bag was open but the cat didn’t notice.

Great puzzle Dr. Tom! I did not do it justice.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

meta cricket.jpg
Well its been eerily quiet since the 4th, just three more solvers:

14 Bbaack
15 CPJohnson
16 lbray55

So I guess it is time for some nudges?

I had some points I wanted to make when constructing this puzzle, and I covered all of them.

I said I broke a cardinal rule and the puzzle was out of the ordinary – but don’t you ignore the cardinal and the ordinary

One of the clues refers to something that will help you solve, and it doesn’t even have to be a moral one!

If those don't help, PM me for more directions.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Oh man! Love your clues and love your nudges.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Thanks for the nudges and getting me to stare at this for a while longer. I finally saw what I needed to see (before I die). Happy Saturday!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Aargh! The second meta recently where all of the nudges seem only to confirm things that seemed clear right away, but no answer is forthcoming.
woozy

Post by woozy »

MMe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:18 am Aargh! The second meta recently where all of the nudges seem only to confirm things that seemed clear right away, but no answer is forthcoming.
Even nudge 2? Nudge 2 is cryptic but... it tells all.''

most metas do something that this meta just doesn't do. It's easy when you ignore that thing. But it's hard to ignore that thing.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

woozy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:47 pm
MMe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:18 am Aargh! The second meta recently where all of the nudges seem only to confirm things that seemed clear right away, but no answer is forthcoming.
Even nudge 2? Nudge 2 is cryptic but... it tells all.''

most metas do something that this meta just doesn't do. It's easy when you ignore that thing. But it's hard to ignore that thing.
That makes it all clear…. Not! Will stare some more….😂
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Time's running out - I'm tempted to see if I can get this without nudges, since I clearly see the first step, but some noodling isn't getting me anywhere as of yet!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Great fun solving the puzzle and meta, Dr. Tom. Happy Mother's Day to all that celebrate it !!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

OK. You guilted me into going back to look at this again during the Sunday zoom session on MGWCC. I have submitted the correct answer (can't be anythign else).

I usually do so many puzzles each week that if I get stuck on one I move to the next. Glad I went back to see this one through.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that's a little better! A bunch of folks have solved the MGWCC and now that they have returned ot normal they are looking for another hill (albeit smaller) to climb so they are going with the MEOW (and I imagine some Pandora as well). At any rate I got a few more catty souls

17 edestin
18 Carolyn
19 Dow Jones
20 Mme
21 LindaPRmaven
22 markhr
24 ky-mike
23 Abide

Let's go for 50 folks!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well two more intrepid souls joined the bagless party:
25 Small Wave Dave
26 MikeyG

I'm expecting a huge rush of new solvers after the MGWCC closes, I am certain that is why there were so few solvers. I'm kind of sad because I thought this was one of my better ones. Well, if I am going ot be upstaged it might as well be by Matt.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

DrTom wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:27 pm Well two more intrepid souls joined the bagless party:
25 Small Wave Dave
26 MikeyG

I'm expecting a huge rush of new solvers after the MGWCC closes, I am certain that is why there were so few solvers. I'm kind of sad because I thought this was one of my better ones. Well, if I am going ot be upstaged it might as well be by Matt.
Your MEOWs still get more solvers than mine Tom :lol:
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well one last solver:
27 Ergcat

So fairly anemic turnout, but hey quality over quantity right!

Thanks to all who gave it a shot. The reveal follows for all those wondering what the heck I meant with this puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MAKING POINTS - THE SOLUTION

There were 8 clues in the puzzle in which I made “points” or to be more specific compass points.
ACROSS
18 NORTHWEST
19 SOUTH
32 NORTHEAST
40 NORTH
42 SOUTHEAST
47 WEST
68 SOUTHEAST
DOWN
5 EAST

Then 16 A was your “nudge” clue: Something you'll need when learning to use a compass: DIRECTIONS

OK then, let’s get a compass:
compass sml.jpg

There are 8 POINTS that we have made, so let’s put the compass on top of the grid:
Making Points Illustrated Solve.jpg

Going “compasswise” 360 degrees from North you have T-H-E-W-O-R-L-D, something we should all see before we die.

My apologies to everyone who got confused because it was not in GRID or Clue order. I have always understood that one started with N and went around the compass so I did not think twice about it. However, if you took the letters in GRID order you woudl get an odd spelling and probably no word. I suppose I should have had the "points" come up in spelling order and GRID order, but gosh I had to challenge you a little - I mean what else did you have to do this week, none of the others were very hard :D
mindle

Post by mindle »

Just chiming in to say I really enjoyed this puzzle! I have been behind on my puzzling, and it's been on my clipboard with a couple of MMM's and a MikeyG meta. Today I finally figured it out - thank you for the fun puzzle!!