Watch It! - May 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:47 pm ...Which is disappointing since I know all the hit songs from 1970.

And none of them reference any particular metanism that I know of....
Instead of googling the hit songs from the 70s and seeing which fit the metanism, just google songs that fit the metanism and seeing which were hit songs from the 70s.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

woozy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:45 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:47 pm ...Which is disappointing since I know all the hit songs from 1970.

And none of them reference any particular metanism that I know of....
Instead of googling the hit songs from the 70s and seeing which fit the metanism, just google songs that fit the metanism and seeing which were hit songs from the 70s.
That was helpful woozy! I had everything I needed, but hadn't thought to put it together that way. :)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Got this one relatively easily. Always needs lots of Mr. G for a MMMM. Found a qualifying song which I actually remember. Second one was a lock.
BethA

Post by BethA »

My brain cloud finally cleared, and I’m on the board!

Excuses, excuses…got my 2nd Covid booster on Monday, and felt under the weather on Tuesday. The only thing to do was stay in bed under the electric blanket all afternoon. Daisy thinks that’s a great way to spend the afternoon! That’s where I completed the grid, but was unable to see the meta. Finally came into focus a little while ago. Thankfully.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Submitted. Pretty sure I got half-credit, which is frustrating. I obviously see what I'm supposed to see, but didn't google the right thing I guess. Second least favorite meta from Pete.

Edit: second point added...doesn't really change my opinion of the meta though.

Edit again: Thanks to @Bird Lives for explaining exactly why my answer was correct. Much less displeased with the puzzle.
jbird

Post by jbird »

On the board now with one point. I imagine the second one will be given but if anyone wants to send me a PM with the answer that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll be hitting F5 (refresh) for the next few hours :lol:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Confident that, after collaborating with @jbird (thanks jbird!), I (we) have both answers now. My musical knowledge did not really help at all. (So why do I keep all this trivia in my head?)

And now I feel dumb for not getting what I had to do from the start. COVID brain. Yeah... that's the ticket....
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Spent wayyy too long trying to figure out the 1970 hit song… then I saw it! Gotta love Pete!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:48 pm Then I tried to way overcomplicate the meta. Saw the obvious and dug deeper and deeper into rabbit holes. Finally backed out and said, wait, what if it's just... And it was.

I remember the 1970 song well; never heard the 1999 one before.

For those still stuck, remember that this is just a May, 2-point puzzle.
Thanks for this advice! I hadn't had much time this week and was stuck. So I chilled out, looked again and aha - found my way to the two songs.
twelvetones

Post by twelvetones »

Jeez, yeah, I was really overthinking this one, lol. Finally cracked it by doing the obvious thing!
- John Berry
burghman

Post by burghman »

Thanks to joequavis for explaining the logic behind what I suspected was the 1970 answer. Tricky and SAD (Simple And Difficult, for those that don’t know the Gaffneyism).
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

jbird wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:50 pm On the board now with one point. I imagine the second one will be given but if anyone wants to send me a PM with the answer that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll be hitting F5 (refresh) for the next few hours :lol:
I don't know. I got 1 point, then after a while I'm pretty sure I got a second point. Now I'm back to just one point.
Anyone else have that happen?
jbird

Post by jbird »

m5rammy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 pm
jbird wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:50 pm On the board now with one point. I imagine the second one will be given but if anyone wants to send me a PM with the answer that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll be hitting F5 (refresh) for the next few hours :lol:
I don't know. I got 1 point, then after a while I'm pretty sure I got a second point. Now I'm back to just one point.
Anyone else have that happen?
Actually, I just emailed MMMM. The response was they were still having issues but would catch up over the next day or so.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Solved & submitted.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew, finally got it… was in the right rabbit hole, just needed a nudge to commit to it. Logical, solid click after all was said and done.
Ray
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Fun mash-up on the MMMM full write-up page here. Thanks @Petemuller!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I had it 1/2 right. I got "No Scrubs" first. I came across "For the Good Times", but discounted it because it wasn't on the Billboard 100 for the year. I should have looked at the Country charts as well.

Following the pattern of "NO" (as is not in the grid), I went with "No Time" by the Guess Who. Seemed logical at the time. Oh well, I am generally not in the hunt for the top prizes, so 1 point isn't going to significantly impact my overall score.
MMe

Post by MMe »

ky-mike wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 pm I had it 1/2 right. I got "No Scrubs" first. I came across "For the Good Times", but discounted it because it wasn't on the Billboard 100 for the year. I should have looked at the Country charts as well.

Following the pattern of "NO" (as is not in the grid), I went with "No Time" by the Guess Who. Seemed logical at the time. Oh well, I am generally not in the hunt for the top prizes, so 1 point isn't going to significantly impact my overall score.
I think "No Time" should count. You obviously had the idea and just went with a different invariant than Peter wanted. I was tempted by that one too.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I spent three days getting nowhere with this one, basically because instead of keeping an open mind about what the instructions meant, I made an assumption about how it was to work and just wouldn't let go.

I saw the four TV shows and their matching actors right away. And expected that something derived from them - probably the names of the characters - would lead me to the first answer. Then I would apply that same mechanism to the other 3 TV people (I was counting Jack Paar) and that would give me the second answer.

Needless to say, that didn't work. Even browsing lists of 1999 hits and seeing No Scrubs, and writing it down and saying isn't that interesting was not enough to jar me loose.

Finally while I slept Thursday night, my subconscious must have finally broken free from that rabbit hole because I woke up and said, wait a minute, what if the instructions had said, "The answer is the two songs that could also have been theme answers." That's a perfectly valid mechanism, and I have one of the answers already written in my notes, just need to find xxxx Good Times from 1970. Doh!

Fun choice for Pete to record both songs together!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
jbird

Post by jbird »

ky-mike wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 pm I had it 1/2 right. I got "No Scrubs" first. I came across "For the Good Times", but discounted it because it wasn't on the Billboard 100 for the year. I should have looked at the Country charts as well.

I was also stuck on "No Time". I was also tempted to submit "The Thrill is Gone" by BB King even though BB King was last month's solution and Pete's ultimate song.
"Thrill" == "Good Times"
"No Good Times" == "Good Times are gone"
"The Thrill is Gone"