Harper’s, May 2022: “Quintessential”

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

Harper’s, May 2022: “Quintessential”

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

For me this was one of the easier recent Richard E. Maltby, Jr. variety cryptics in Harper’s. Though still not easy. I found a couple of footholds, and worked outward from them, faster than I usually do.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Agreed, Chris. Breezier than some, but still not a cakewalk. Maltby is Maltby: a joy, regardless of relative effort. I got hung up on 35D for quite a while, until I finally dismantled it and saw what lay within the pieces. Other than that, I was surprised at my smooth success.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

You aren’t the Tom Wilson who was the smartest kid in my 1974 graduating class at Lee M. Thurston High School in Redford Township, Michigan, are you? I’ve wondered what happened to him.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Took me three sittings to complete, but that’s pretty standard for me with a Maltby. I savor his puzzles because I enjoy his cluing so much. In particular, I llike the fact that he does not shy away from the anagram clue. It seems that some setters disfavor that type of clue these days, but in Maltby’s hands, even anagrams are entertaining and clever.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

No, Chris, I'm not the smartest kid in anyone's graduating class ... least of all my own (1975 in northcentral Pennsylvania)!