"That's A Plus" - November 8, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jud

Post by Jud »

Ashore!
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore. Way too easy for me but last week's was way too hard for me. Maybe a Goldilocks meta next week?
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Saturday puzzles are very late today!
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore but color me skeptical ... is it as easy as it seems? I'll have a Monkey 47 and tonic, please, to soften any forthcoming hall-of-shame moment. Good weekend to all!
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Ashore for first time. :) Discovered Metas just a couple weeks ago with Horseplay.
I've appreciated all the helpful tips posted here!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am Observed an old lady named Kay
"This meta's too easy, no way!"
If this one's a pageant
Of scale unimagin't
There'll be much Monday muggle dismay!
Fabulous!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

That was a quick swim to shore.
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

Ashore!
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Rode the Jet Ski to shore. On to the MGWCC.
-Doug Morack
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I have never done the MGWCC, but I just signed up. Are they harder than the Friday contests? Similar reasoning to solve them? Thanks!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:54 pm I have never done the MGWCC, but I just signed up. Are they harder than the Friday contests? Similar reasoning to solve them? Thanks!
Matt's puzzles go from an easy Week 1 of the month to a devilish Week 4 or sometimes 5. Similar to WSJ, but the later weeks are in my opinion much more difficult. You can look on his site for past puzzles and see for yourself. (Heidi)
Heidi
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

I thought it couldn’t be that easy until I saw the number of folks who’ve solved it already. So, after a miserable 3 weeks, I get to submit a solution. Hooray! Nice to see all you beach people!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:54 pm I have never done the MGWCC, but I just signed up. Are they harder than the Friday contests? Similar reasoning to solve them? Thanks!
Welcome!

They're definitely similar. MGWCC has a wider range of difficulty, but the difficulty is generally predictable with the easiest puzzles at the beginning of the month (give or take Matt occasionally misjudging how difficult us mere mortals will find a particular puzzle).

He probably sent you last week's as well as the current one. Last week was comparable to the easiest WSJs. This week is a bit harder, closer to the WSJ mid-range. The week 3 and 4 puzzles are like to the hardest WSJs. The week 5s are totally insane - in a good way:)
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thank you to Heidi and Barbara. I haven’t received any puzzles yet, but I look forward to the quest.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On Shore after a couple of weeks onboard ship.

I have been taking the advice from fellow retiree DaveKennison (last week's posts) and working from the meta archives. It is a good exercise but I sure do miss being able to say 'on shore!' to anyone who will understand. My husband and the dog do not.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore and i sense many more rolling in with each wave.
Ktwhitaker

Post by Ktwhitaker »

I'm getting something that does not seem like a "common four-letter word"... I'm assuming that means I'm not finished but I don't know where else to go!
Last edited by Ktwhitaker on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I hate to spend money, but I have had zero regrets about subscribing to Matt's puzzles! I look forward to them every week. Just an FYI, if your subscription doesn't start as quickly as you'd like, you can contact Matt at the email listed on his site above the leaderboard. I emailed him when it seemed to be taking longer than it should, and he sent them right away.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Ashore. Sorry, Isaac. It’s been real but I was ready to move on.

If it was easy for me, it is really easy!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Submitted and ashore, but....there is always a but! After a string of five successful weeks, I have clocked in failures in the last six. It did cross my mind that Matt was giving me the equivalent of a gut course this week and that gives me a queasy feeling!

As an aside, I have a question for anyone with info: is there any information re how long it takes Mike or Matt to create one of these Friday puzzles?