"Let's Get Meta!" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:38 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:34 pm Okay.... I keep submitting the correct answer to Crosshare and being told it is wrong. How do I tell Ben his answer is wrong and he needs to change it to mine?
I can see your last meta attempt. It is not correct, and I am sticking to my answer!
Look again!

(I hope it need not be pointed out, that I was joking....)

Anyway, two down; on to Josh's.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:42 pm
benchen71 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:38 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:34 pm Okay.... I keep submitting the correct answer to Crosshare and being told it is wrong. How do I tell Ben his answer is wrong and he needs to change it to mine?
I can see your last meta attempt. It is not correct, and I am sticking to my answer!
Look again!

(I hope it need not be pointed out, that I was joking....)

Anyway, two down; on to Josh's.
(Of course I knew you were joking.)

I have to wait to see your new response on Crosshare. The site caches its pages to make things faster, but it means that stats/solvers info only updates once an hour!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:56 pm Never knew Versailles had a moat.Captureversailles.PNG
But I crossed it --
Oh, I think it always did. I remember that when they were talking about building moats in Europe they weren't sure how large to make them and one of the initial moat builders said "I'm going to try it on Versailles"!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Crossed the moat... and moat... and moat! Inception is NOT the answer! :lol:
Attachments
rendering.jpg
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The sun is shining here in Melbourne on this fine Saturday morning. I'm sitting in my local cafe after an invigorating walk, waiting for my coffee and bacon-and-egg baguette to arrive. Here's the solver update on this fine Saturday morning:

Jack Sullivan
Spid4567
Hector
edestlin
BrennerTJ
markhr
woozy
BarbaraK
Cindy Heisler
Qmark
Darth
Chaddog

Nudges to come shortly...
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Ah, my coffee has arrived. Yum! Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no additional hints in the grid, but some of the clues should give you pause.

2. Focus on the clues that refer back to themselves.

3. Before submitting an answer, take a long, hard look at these entries.

4. Look for a prefix that can go with these entries.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

This was a journey!
I am finally IN the castle. (catapulted in . . . but in) :ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before I reveal the answer, there are 5 more solvers to add to the list:

LindaPRmaven
Bbaack
CromsFury
frostyjhammer
schmidzy

That brought us up to 37. Well done, everyone!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the answer to my part of the "Let's Get Meta!" meta extravaganza:

Let's Get Meta (solution).png

Thanks to @madhatter5 and @MikeyG for this three-way collaboration! Hope you enjoyed solving these three quite different interpretations of the "Let's Get Meta!" theme. Congratulations to those solvers who solved the Meta Meta Meta as well! (If you haven't, there's still time...)

A couple of comments regarding my puzzle. The meta-identifying mechanic of the self-referential clues was a clear first step. I tried really hard to make the self-references use two different parts of speech; for example, 1 across: "Govern using the RULE of law" [verb and noun]; and 23 across: "The state of having people RESPECT you" [noun and verb]. But it wasn't always possible; for example, 37 across: "Detailed inspection, often conducted using an EXAM, for short" [noun and noun].

The first letter of these grid entries spelled REFERENTIAL. But where did the SELF- come from, other than the fact that the clues were self-referential? Well, each of these grid entries can take SELF- as a prefix. This worked very naturally with some of the grid entries, like SELF-RULE, SELF-RESPECT, SELF-ESTEEM, SELF-INVOLVED and SELF-AWARE. Others, less so, like SELF-EXAM and SELF-LIE. But these are still possible, even if they are perhaps rarer in everyday usage.

And then there was the problem of the spelling errors! If you corrected these, you obtained "META META META IS" which, on its own, is suggestive but meaningless. Hopefully, though, you went on to do the other two puzzles with the same title and meta prompt that came out within 24 hours of each other and found more spelling errors. Then, if you checked the release times, and put the decoded phrases into time-order, you had the meta meta meta prompt!

As far as I know, no one stumbled across my extra-hidden phrase, but that's fine since it really was of no importance!