A Farewell to R's

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Perhaps most folks feel like this, but I feel like I live in The Land of No Accents, so this one was definitely tough for me. I was also looking in all the wrong places. Nudge 1 is what helped, but definitely looked at / needed all of them.

And of course once you see it you wonder how you could possibly not see it!

Great puzzle, Cap'n!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Day 4 and four more Muggles have broken the tape:

LindaPRmaven
Naptown Kid
joequavis
Alex R

This brings our total to 67. Great job, everyone!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Off the couch! Saw the first step almost immediately, but floundered for a while after that. Nudges helped, though! Nice job @Cap'n Rick !
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

harvard-pennant-with-seal.jpg

Good morning everyone. The meta answer was "CRIMSON" - the official color of Harvard University.

After completing the grid, solvers needed to locate the 7 symmetrically-placed grid entries that make up that familiar quote re: Boston (i.e. "Park the car in Harvard Yard"). But in this case, the entries appeared the way a person with a Boston accent (as hinted in 24-Down) would pronounce them (i.e. "PAK THE CAW INN HAW VID YOD").

Farewell solved spreadsheet.JPG

The first letters of the clues associated with the 7 entries spell the meta answer.

Farewell clues.JPG

Oh, I placed a few other hints around the grid to help with the solve (e.g. 1A - RLESS, 73A - ARGON, 61D - AAH, 16A - Be in the red = OWE). And since I didn't want this meta to be too regional, I placed a "special Southern hint" at 6A - "Certain tide" - which could also reference the University of Alabama "Crimson" Tide or "BAMA" as very subtly indicated in wrapping fashion at 64D.

Thank you everyone who solved. Including @AnswerPfinder and the testers we had a total of 68 solvers. I know it may have been a long and difficult marathon for some, but hopefully you all felt that exhilarating runner's high at the finish.

Until next time,
Cap'n Rick

Stats.JPG
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!